Wednesday 15 May 2019

2019 Contenders: Better Oblivion Community Centre


Better Oblivion Community Centre* continue that fine old rock 'n' roll tradition of pairing an angelic-voiced female singer with a bloke who sounds like a rusty gate. Like Nancy & Lee. Sonny & Cher. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan. Dawn Landes & Bobby Bare.

This time, the angelica-voiced female is Phoebe Bridgers, the lady who produced one of my favourite debut albums of recent years, 2017's Stranger In The Alps. The creaky gate is (as you'd expect) a little longer in the tooth: Conor Oberst (not as Bright Eyed as he once was, now at the grand old age of 39). Together they make an irresistibly quirky racket, though as with the recent collaboration between Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett, the young lady rather shows up the old bloke when it comes to songwriting - I can make a good guess at the lyrics Bridgers has contributed to this coupling, and they stand out more than Conor's contributions. Of course, I may be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. (But this one certainly sounds like Bridgers to me...)

I'm getting used to these dizzy spells
I'm taking a shower at the Bates Motel
I'm getting greedy with this private hell
I'll go it alone, but that's just as well


*Yes, I'm going to spell it the (correct) English way rather than the (incorrect) American way, even if they don't. Because I'm an English teacher. For now, anyway.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...