Monday 15 April 2019

2018 Latecomers: Dawn Chorus



I'd file Dawn Landes under traditional country rather than Americana, but country in the tradition of Dolly or Tammy or Loretta rather the glitzy pop sheen of contemporary Nashville. Even the cover to her latest album (her fifth), 2018's Meet Me At The River, has a vintage feel to it. It looks like the kind of old country album you'd find leafing through the vinyl section in a charity shop rather than popping out of your screen on Spotify.

There's a lot to love on this album (if you care for this kind of music), but I'm most taken at the moment by her collaboration with the great Bobby Bare - now in his eighties, but still going strong. It's a fun duet, and their voices complement each other very well indeed. Plus, I always like songs about not dancing...


Here's another very catchy tune from the same album which has lodged itself in my cranium...



4 comments:

  1. I've one of her albums.
    It's on the Americana as opposed to Country shelves.
    She was married to Josh Ritter at one stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the shelves cannot be argued with.

      Delete
    2. Believe me - there are frequent arguements!

      Delete
  2. Ah the dilemma of classification - As someone who loves cataloguing and alphabetisation, I feel your pain. Like this lady's voice but then I am very fond of Dolly, Tammy and Loretta too.

    What, you don't like dancing Rol? - I think you protest too much and are a veritable John Travolta.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...