Wednesday 19 February 2020

2020 Contenders: Get Off The Stage


Usually I wait until I've heard a full album before I write one of these Contenders posts. It's rare I write one on the strength of a lead single ("impact track", or whatever they call them these days), way before the album sees the light of day.

One of the last times I remember doing that was three years ago, February 2017, when I just had to post Chuck Prophet's Bad Year For Rock 'n' Roll as soon as I heard it. Turns out the rest of the album, Bobby Fuller Died For Your Sins, was well worth waiting for... but that track was one of the best things I heard that year.

Well, it looks like Chuck's done it again. I'm always a sucker for a Trump song, but this one balances the anger with wit. Perfect.



3 comments:

  1. Great song and a fab video. Mellow with a sting in the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy is new to me. His voice is really comfortable to warm up to. And how can you not love the line "...put some John Prine on repeat." Good and clever stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the John Prine line did it for me too. Thanks for dropping by, Casey.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...