Tuesday 25 February 2020

Hot 100 #19


This week proved to be most problematic. Normally, I just put a number into the Search Title box on my music player and it gives me a clear list of all songs with that number in the title. When I did that for 19 though, I got thousands of songs - including all the year songs from the 20th Century, from 1901 to 1999, plus any Live recordings that featured a date (Live 1987) or similarly dated remixes (1996 remix). As such, finding songs that featured the number nineteen in the title became an impossible task. I kinda gave up and went by ones I could remember off the top of my head and your suggestions. Luckily, there were some crackers among those.

Bandwise, it proved similarly tricky. The 1975, 1990s and 1910 Fruitgum Company were all disqualified for having their 19 in the wrong place, and the only caveat I allowed for a dated 19 was that I would allow the year 1919. Fortunately, there was a postpunk band from Bradford with just that name...

1919 - Cry Wolf

(Not the a-ha song, in case you were wondering.)

Points also to The Swede for finding a song that referenced that particular year...

John Cale - Paris 1919

That's a belter too.

While The Swede's here... what else does he have for us this week?

Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks - Nineteen Years Old

Can - Nineteen Century Man

I had money on you suggesting that last one, Swede.

Speaking of songs about being 19 years old, here's another one from Lynchie...

Muddy Waters - She's Nineteen Years Old

Probably not acceptable these days.

And, of course, there's this contrasting pair which featured here a few months back...

Joe Jackson - Nineteen Forever

The Courteeners - Not Nineteen Forever

Thanks to Rigid DigitBrian and Martin for suggesting those two; the latter was in serious contention for this week's top spot.

Martin also suggested this...

Tom Waits - 2:19

...and something else, which we'll return to a little later.

Before we get onto the really obvious suggestions, here's a few less obvious ones.

Charity Chic offered...

Dave Schramm - Number Nineteen

(Link courtesy of JC, from a recent Schramms ICA over at The Vinyl Villain.)

Jim In Dubai suggested...

A dreadful song and a brilliant song this week, will let you figure out which is which :-)

The Commentators - N-N-Nineteen Not Out

(I think this may have been Rory Bremner if my memory serves me right)

I'm guessing that was your dreadful suggestion. Although it's not quite as bad as Snooker Loopy.

Christmas Island - Nineteen

That's much better.

Finally, here's John Medd, who offers...

Girl -19

Sadly, John, I couldn't find that anywhere on the internet, since putting the words "girl" and "19" into
a search engine led me nowhere. The only info I have is what you gave me...

I used to love this when I was, er, 19. It was their riposte to Alice Cooper's 18. Speaking of which...

Hold your horses, John, we'll get to next week soon enough.

OK, still before we get to the obvious choices, here's the few leftovers I managed to scrape from my hard-drive before the exercise became too futile...

Zolar X - Jet Star 19

Piano Magic - Me At 19

Eagles of Death Metal - I Got A Feeling (Just Nineteen)

(Which is almost as bad as Muddy Waters - although they have far less excuse.)

Smog - Nineteen

Finally then, the obvious ones, starting with Charity Chic, who presumed he was on for a hat-trick this week...

The Rolling Stones - 19th Nervous Breakdown

And then, there was this, which Lynchie thought HAD to be this week's winner...

Steely Dan - Hey, Nineteen

(I also had a version of that by The Atlanta Rhythm Section.)

Both were fine tunes, although the one I considered most obvious was this one, as nodded to by Alyson, Martin and Lynchie...

Paul Hardcastle - Nineteen

To be honest, all three of those were in contention this week... along with the above-mentioned belter by The Courteeners... but it's Martin who takes the prize this week for recalling one of my favourite minor hits from the post-Britpop era, although lyrically it owes a debt to 70s singer songwriters such as Rupert Holmes... and a splash of Scott Walker to boot.



Next week we become adults at last... or do we? Your 18 suggestions are welcomed... and yes, I will allow the 18th Century to get a look in, as I'm hoping there are far fewer songs with dates in from that century than this one... and not many 18th century remixes or live recordings either.

16 comments:

  1. I'm eighteen with a bullet
    Got my finger on the trigger, I'm gonna pull it

    Pete Wingfield - 18 With a Bullet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey. I think that's the first time I've bagged the prize. Made my day.

    18... I imagine there must be a bucketful. Can't think of too many off the top of my head though, so will just have to go with 18 Miles to Memphis by the Stray Cats, and 18,000 Lira by Art Brut. So no, I don't expect to be winning again next week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment last time was linked - thought I'd save you the bother of looking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating facts about Pete Wingfield (I bought "18 With A Bullet" in 1975 - fantastically fun lyrics):

    He produced Searching for the Young Soul Rebels the first album by Dexys Midnight Runners - and also produced The Proclaimers "Sunshine on Leith".

    He's played keyboards for Van Morrison, The Everly Brothers, The Housemartins and many more.

    Sadly however, he did play piano for The Alan Parsons Project, but nbody's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy Mattea has a decent country song called: "Eighteen Wheels And A Dozen Roses" and there's the great Alice Cooper song: "I'm Eighteen".

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the by - the only Atlanta Rhythm Section tune I can remember is "Doraville" and that was pretty manky. I think Whispering Bob Harris was a fan.

    To mention them in the same sentence as Steely Dan is tantamount to treason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely second FBCB's suggestion of Alice Cooper's 'I'm Eighteen'.
    A few years ago Mr SDS did his best Alice Cooper impression at a fancy dress party (it was so hot his eyeliner ran and the great thing was that it didn't matter...) Somewhere out there now there's a priceless photo of Alice, Slash and Ozzy together in a scout hut in Essex.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rialto - Monday Morning 5:19 great song and deserved winner last week, well done.

    This week i am leading with 18 Carat Love Affair by the Associates.
    Also have.
    18 Days - The Cygnet Ring
    Stay - 18 Wheeler
    Assuming Momus - London 1888 doesn't qualify but certainly worth a mention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve already posted my suggestions but the comment seems to have disappeared. I think I mentioned that Pete Wingfield’s song was the obvious one for me but I also came up with:
    18 Carat Love Affair by the Associates
    Eighteen Yellow Roses by Bobby Darin
    18 Til I Die by Brian Adams

    Something funny going on with the blogs at the moment - C can no longer leave comments at my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you possibly just deleted my comment because the suggestions were so rubbish!

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't ever do that to you, Alyson.

      Delete
  10. Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen
    and Pete Wingfield - 18 With A Bullet

    were my first choices - beaten to it (and rightly so - how can those not be at the top of the list)

    What else?
    Everyone needs a bit of hair metal once in a while:
    Skid Row - 18 And Life

    How about electronica?
    Moby -18

    Some southern rock?
    Alabama - Roll On 18 Wheeler

    A bit of headbanging stuff?
    Megadeth - Hangar 18

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alyson beat me to 18 Carat Love Affair. Anything from that era of Associates would get my vote, but I have a couple of others I would put right up there this week...

    18:10 to Yeovil Junction by Bubblegum Splash
    (You do know my affection for anything on the Subway Organization label)

    A.M. 180 by Grandaddy
    (Jason Lytle's first great song but nowhere near his last)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...