Monday 24 February 2020

Cover Me Monday #13: I Will Survive


Gloria Gaynor's disco hit I Will Survive was originally seen as a female empowerment anthem, although in recent years it has also been embraced by the LGBT community for its message of not giving up even when it seems like the whole world's against you. Apparently the American Library of Congress selected it to be included in the National Re cording Registry as a track that is "culturally, historically, or artistically significant". And who am I to argue with any of that? It's a fine song...

Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

There are plenty of interesting cover version around though, which take the song way beyond its disco roots. For example, there's the country version...

Billie Jo Spears - I Will Survive

The jazz version...

Postmodern Jukebox - I Will Survive

The R.E.M. version...

R.E.M. - I Will Survive

The John Otway pretending to be Bob Dylan version...

John Otway - I Will Survive

The Nigel The Cockatoo version (aka Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords)...

Nigel The Cockatoo - I Will Survive

And this, which is apparently Gloria Gaynor's least favourite version, because it's a bit too sweary (edited here to make it more radio friendly). I was always very fond of this cover though...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...