Monday 13 June 2022

Cover Me Monday #18: Swelligant


Chances are you've heard this one before, but maybe not for a long time. I stuck it on one of Sam's CDs the other week and I've enjoyed getting to know it again. Originally recorded for the Red Hot + Blue compilation back in 1990, a charity record for AIDS research featuring artists of the day covering Cole Porter standards. It's since been included on Greatest Hits collections for both Debbie (or Deborah as she was calling herself at the time) and Iggy (or "Jim" as she amusingly refers to him in this song... I'm sure I don't need to tell you that Iggy's real name is James Newell Osterberg Jr.... which is about as far from Iggy as you can get).

The track was originally sung by Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra in the movie High Society. I love their version too, and I'm not about to choose between them. They're both swelligant and elegant and so good for the brain.

This Alex Cox-directed video features both versions...



7 comments:

  1. What an excellent video. How have I not seen this before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought. They both look like they're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great is that. Love the original version (and the film) but Debbie and Jim certainly look like they're having fun there. As much time has now elapsed since their version, as between theirs and the original. Time is speeding up and I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea that the 90s are so far away is forever disturbing me.

      Delete
  4. Guess who bought the album on the strength of that one track?
    Iggy Pop laughing like a loon, the carefree video, and Debbie telling Ig "now p*ss off" at the end.
    The album is OK - a bit hit & miss - but Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues doing Miss Otis Regrets is another high point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've got most of the tracks, though I never bought the album. (Home taping is killing music.) Pretty sure that Kirsty/Pogues song is on a KM compilation too.

      Delete
    2. Certainly tis - it's on Galore. As is another Kirsty duet - Perfect Day with Evan Dando

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...