Friday 12 January 2024

Title Fight #6: Bastards, Winos and Pessimists


Kris Kristofferson was a talented amateur boxer who took part in The National Golden Gloves boxing tournament. He never fought Ali professionally, but he did star alongside him in the TV mini series Freedom Road back in 1979. He had a way with an eye-catching song title too...

Kris Kristofferson - If You Don't Like Hank Williams (You Can Kiss My Ass)



Anyway, as I've been down with the lurgy this week, I don't have much to say for myself beyond throwing a few more songs with interesting titles your way. Interesting images too, like this one...

This is Bobb Trimble, "psychedelic folk/outsider musician" from Massachusetts. Bobb self-released two albums in the early 80s (above is the cover of his debut record, Iron Curtain Innocence) before packing the psychedelic folk / outsider shit in and going off to do something more respectable with his life. Like not having a backing band made up of 12 year old kids that resulted in them getting barred from venues scared of losing their liquor licences. The albums were re-issued in the early noughties after second hand copies started going for silly money on eBay and taste-makers like Thurston Moore began dropping Bobb's name. 

Bobb Trimble - Killed By The Hands of An Unknown Rock Starr

Next up, a couple I owe to Ernie. Firstly, African-American country singer Howdy Glenn. I'd never heard of him until Ernie pointed me in his direction a couple of weeks back, but he's a welcome discovery. In the copious notes I make while preparing this feature, I scribbled the following... 

"Who Makes a Wino's Bed? Ernie."

Asked and answered, it seems.

Howdy Glenn - Who Makes a Wino's Bed?

Ernie also responded to Khayem's recent 1000th post and they got into a bit of banter about reggae singer John Holt. Ernie wondered if any others wanted to take up the John Holt baton. I'll admit, I didn't have a lot from Mr. Holt in the hard-drive, but this one caught my eye.

John Holt - Sweetie, Come Brush Me

I've no idea why John wants brushing. Please tell me it's not a euphemism.

And now, I bring you "the driving force behind 'The New Wave of Swedish Celtic Punk'", described by one critic as pioneers of "Celtic Social Realism". Swedish Celtic Social Realism, that is. They're also the only Swedish band ever to have performed for two consecutive years at the Woodstock Festival. The Woodstock Festival in Poland, that is. 

Full disclosure, Finnegan's Hell didn't come up with the song title below... they just stole it from Oscar Wilde. Still, you know what Picasso said...  

Finnegan's Hell - Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class

Finally, I'd just like to point out that the current Number One on the UK Singles Chart is a song I first wrote about back on the 18th of August 2022. Look at me, the taste-maker! Woo hoo! It's not got the greatest title in the world, but given that I am now clearly an Influencer, I can make up my own rules. 

Noah Kahan - Stick Season

Meanwhile, at #8 in the aforementioned Completely Irrelevant Streaming Aggregate still known as the "Official Singles Chart" (surely it's time they dropped the word "Singles"?), it's a re-entry for the lovely Sophie Ellis-Bextor's 23 year old Number 2 hit, Murder On The Dancefloor. This is largely due to the Irish actor Barry Keoghan dancing naked (and I do mean: naked) to it at the end of the recent movie Saltburn. 

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder On The Dancefloor

Now I've always had a lot of time for the daughter of Blue Peter's Janet Ellis. I even saw her play live a couple of times in the late 90s with theaudience, a band who certainly knew their way around a song title. To whit...

theaudience - If You Can't Do It When You're Young, When Can You Do It?

theaudience - I Know Enough (I Don't Get Enough)



2 comments:

  1. I can't be sure but - as the other things Mr Holt wants Sweetie to do are to 'bounce', 'shape for', hold, kiss and come love him - I strongly suspect it may be a euphemism

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the video I quite liked Sweden's answer to The Pogues

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...