Wednesday 24 January 2024

Self-Help For Cynics #20: Ninety Second Emotions

Last weekend, Louise and I had a bit of an argument. It wasn't a particularly important one, just one of the hundreds of squabbles most human beings living under the same roof as other human beings will subject themselves to over the course of the year. I can't even remember what it was about now, but at the time I was livid.

The O'Jays - 992 Arguments

I'm kinda putting off tackling the subject of anger in this series, because it's a huge kettle of anchovies. I'm avoiding it because it looks like it'll be hard work... and those of you who read last week's post will realise that's rather counter-productive of me. Hey, I'm not claiming to be following my own advice all the time - take your "physician, heal thyself" comments and stick them where the sun don't shine. 

Cleckheaton.

Drive-By Truckers - Sun Don't Shine

Anyway, after the argument, I took myself off to stew in the living room. I hate any kind of disagreement, so will take the first opportunity to run away and do whatever I can to avoid it starting up again. This will usually involve not discussing the subject of the argument or anything else for as long as possible, since any form of communication might re-trigger the aggro. Some people might call this sulking. I prefer to term it Crisis Management. 

Billy Bragg - Sulk

After about a minute though, Louise came to find me. "Here we go again," I thought, at which point Louise said...

"Are you finding those new tuna tins hard to drain? I find they leave a ring and you have to press down and it doesn't get all the water out so you end up with really mushy tuna and..."

I'll spare you the rest, but it was as though our earlier disagreement hadn't even happened and instantly we were back to discussing the trivial annoyances of day to day living. Well, Louise was, anyway. Me... I find it much harder to reset my emotions like that. 

The Band of Holy Joy - Baubles, Bangles, Emotional Tangles

In her immensely readable book Unf*ck Your Brain, the delightfully foul-mouthed Dr. Faith G, Harper tells us...

"Our emotions influence our thoughts and behaviours. They are meant to be a physiological signal to the rest of the brain. Once they have done their jobs, they are then meant to dissipate.

Do you know how long an emotion is actually meant to last?

90 seconds.

Seriously, just one and a half minutes for an emotion to run its course. 

But you are calling "bullshit" right now, I know. Because if that were really the case, why do our emotions last hours, days, or years? 90 seconds? Not so much.

Emotions last longer than 90 seconds because we continue to fuel them with our thoughts. We do this by telling ourselves the same stories about the triggering situation over and over. This is when they stop being emotions and start becoming moods."

The Sound - The One And A Half Minute Song

Our emotions last exactly as long as that tune. And this one...

Van Morrison - Hold On, George

And exactly one second longer than this.

The Swell Maps - Read About Seymour

So how do we stop our 90 second emotions becoming full-on hissy fits, extended bouts of pout, or lock-yourself-in-the-toilet meltdowns?  

The answer, according to the experts, presumably people who never experience more than 90 seconds of negative emotions at any one time, is to take control of our own feelings and become emotionally self-aware. 

Slaves - Take Control

Yes, we can self-regulate our emotions! 

Warren G ft. Nate Dogg - Regulate

This all seems like a shed-load of work to me, but here's a few tips from Psychology Today about how to stop 90 seconds of upset ruining your entire day...

“Look at the second hand on a watch. As soon as you look at it, you’re now observing yourself having this physiological response instead of engaging with it. It will take less than 90 seconds, and you will feel better. Of course, you can always go back to thinking those thoughts that re-stimulate the loop. There’s probably a thought somewhere in your brain of somebody who did you wrong 20 years ago. Every time you think of that person it still starts that circuit. When things are getting hot and you’re getting hot-headed, look at your watch. It takes 90 seconds to dissipate that anger response.”

The Sweet - Own Up, Take a Look at Yourself

We keep coming back to this on Self-Help For Cynics. Make yourself aware of what your brain is doing as a first step to taking back control. But how easy is that to do in the heat of the moment when your brain is fired up with the matter at hand? I reckon it'll take practice.

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself

Sweary Dr. Faith takes this idea one step further. She suggests facing your emotions head on. Sitting down and wallowing in them. relishing them, living them to their full potential.

Not avoiding them.

Not just putting up with them.

Actually grasping the nettle and saying to yourself, "Hey, I'm angry / frightened / sad / etc. right now. This is what it feels like. It might feel pretty awful, but I know it won't last, so let's just give it a bit of time, give it its space."

Primal Scream - Don't Fight It, Feel It

Again, hardly the easiest course of action - particularly for those of us who are Professional Conflict-Avoiders. But, Dr. Faith assures us...

"If you attend to what you're feeling, you get over it way more quickly than if you avoid it. I've noticed I'm bored with myself about three minutes into committing to sitting with my feeling for five. I'm ready to go make a cup of coffee, read a book, find the cookies I hid from myself, or do anything other than perserverate."

REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight This Feeling

Perseverate, people! That's my word of the week. The kind people at Dictionary Corner tell me it means...

...to repeat or prolong an action, thought, or utterance after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased.

Kate Bush - Feel It

All this makes me think that the brain is like a small child that wants our attention when we're otherwise occupied. You can try to ignore the child's continued efforts to disrupt your day... or you can try to muddle along, balancing the thing you're doing with giving the child a bit of attention. Or you can drop everything and give the child your full attention - blatantly. "OK, I'm watching you... what are you doing? Can I watch you do that too? Show me more! Let me watch YOU!" 

I've actually done this with Sam on occasion, and often he'll get bored with this sudden bout of hyper-attention and actually want to be left alone for a bit. The people in the know tells us that our brain will do exactly the same thing... if we give it the attention it craves.

The Creation - How Does It Feel To Feel?

As with everything else in this series, I don't claim any of this is a magic wand or a miracle cure. But it is something to think about...



6 comments:

  1. I realise this isn't what I was meant to take from this post, but Louise is right about those tuna tins. You either end up with half the water still in the tin or half the tuna all over the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHFC continues to be my favourite blog series, and not just for sweary Dr Faith. Perseverate! What a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some might argue that continuing to blog after all these years is the very definition of perseverate.

      Delete
  3. As always, Rol, a thought provoking and refreshing read. As you say, we can be aware of all of these tools, resources and insights but it’s about practice, practice, practice. At home, I have frequently and knowingly gone into, er, ‘crisis management’ mode when I could have resolved a conflict a bit sooner. This in part, I think, because I often seem to do little else than conflict resolution at work and at home, sometimes I just want to…sulk.

    I’ve said it before, but Mrs K deserves a medal.

    And she’s deftly avoided the tinned tuna issue by being vegetarian. Although that wasn’t the primary reason for her choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want a quiet life, K. My preferred crisis management technique is one way of attempting to achieve that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...