Tuesday 7 May 2024

Namesakes #84: Squeeze


I've only got a handful of artists with the same name this week, but it's still a bit of a Squeeze...

SQUEEZE #1


In 1973, Chris Difford stole 50p from his mum's purse (stealing is wrong, kids) and used it to pay for an advert in the local sweetshop window. This strikes me as being rather an expensive advert in 1973. The web of lies tells me that 50 pence would be worth £7.58 today. That sweet shop was raking it in. Anyway, Chris's advert was for a guitarist to join his band. He didn't actually have a band, and only one person replied: Glenn Tilbrook. 50p well spent, though I hope he paid his mum back when they got famous.

Later joined by drummer Paul Gunn and the ivory-tickling Shoot-yer-nanny bloke himself, the group started out calling themselves Captain Trundlow's Sky Company and then Skyco, before settling on a name cheekily lifted from the final, much-derided Velvet Underground album (the one recorded by Doug Yule after everyone else had left the band). 


Squeeze have recorded many great songs... but there's arguably none finer than the one that became a smash hit despite its complete lack of chorus.


SQUEEZE #2


Aussie soft-rockers from the 70s who arrived on the scene a year or so after the first collaboration between Difford & Tilbrook, and later became known as The Australian Squeeze. This is pretty groovy if you ask me (which nobody did).


SQUEEZE #3


Italian DJ / producer Salvatore Caltabiano has the distinction of being the first Squeeze to sign up to Discogs, forcing Glenn and Chris to make do with a Squeeze (2) designation. He also describes himself as a "contemporary dance music teacher / historian". I think I skipped that class, sorry. I listened to a couple of his tracks, and this was the most interesting, largely because of the African samples.


SQUEEZE!! #4

Japanese Ska band from the 21st Century. These guys made me smile; they're clearly living their best lives. (I hate that expression. Don't know why I used it.)


THE SQUEEZE #5

Aussie psychedelia from 2013...

 
SQUEEZE #6

Contemporary pop from Boston in 2020. Not bad, I suppose, for what it is...


SQUEEZE #7

And finally today, a London-based punk band from last year who don't appear to have found themselves a singer. Clearly they need to put an ad in the local sweet shop window...


Which one is your Main Squeeze... and which one makes you go Squeeze, Louise!? (Which was actually the name of a female punk band from the US in the early 80s.)
 

12 comments:

  1. 50p for an ad in the local newsagent in 1973 was extortionate - you could get 10 embassy filter tip and a box matches for less than 20p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occurred to me after writing this that perhaps Chris didn't just pay for the ad with that 50p. Maybe he bought a shitload of sweets too.

      Delete
    2. .......mints, plus those Embassy Filter Tip and box of Swan Vestas

      Delete
  2. #1 obviously. #2 is pleasant if a bit bland. I quite like #3 but suspect I would like it more without what I assume is Squeeze's dull rhythm track - time for Red Mash to go solo. I will leave the others to George and his forensic analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bin #5 and #7.The rest are not bad but as Ernie said #1 is the obvious winner

    ReplyDelete
  4. "contemporary dance music teacher / historian" Pah. I went on a course about teaching algebra through dance. #2 is a pleasant enough pop song. #3, I was waiting for the song to really kick in after the prolonged introduction, but after 2 mins 10 seconds I realised that nothing was actually going to happen. And after 5 mins 17 seconds nothing I came to the conclusion that nothing did happen (unless I fell asleep and missed something). I can't tell you how excited I was feeling about listening to a japanese ska band, and was extremely disappointed with what I actually heard (and I would not call it ska). You chose the longest track on #5 on purpose, not through merit, but as some sort of punishment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be taught algebra through dance. Any chance of an online lesson?

      Delete
    2. Did I forgot to mention it was learning algebra through naked dance?

      Delete
    3. On second thoughts...

      Delete
  5. well, #6 was a right load of old nonsense, and as for #7, it really needs a lyric, the music showed promise. But of course it's #1, that song is sheer brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to like no. 4 so badly but in the end just didn’t. No. 1 is like an old friend only they never seem to disappoint. Somehow still making relevant music all these decades later. - Brian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...