Wednesday 23 January 2013

My Top Ten (Non-Christmassy) Snow Songs


Because it's been snowing this week. Round these part, anyway. And, as usual, people have been acting like it's the end of the world...

The only rule for this one was that I couldn't have any Christmas songs. For obvious reasons. Hence, no matter how good a song 'Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow' might be... it's not getting in.


10. Belle & Sebastian - The Fox In The Snow

Having grown up on a farm and seen the after-effects of a fox in a chicken house, I shouldn't have much sympathy for the animals. But I do. Besides, Stuart Murdoch could make me shed a tear for even the most hateful of creatures: that's just his gift. One day he'll write a song about Tom Hanks or Michael McIntyre and all will be forgiven...

9. Shirley Lee - The First Time You Saw Snow

I make no apologies for featuring two Shirley Lee records in the space of two Top Tens, even if most of you have never heard of him. Sadly this one has disappeared from its original online source, but I'm sure you can hear it somewhere if you search hard enough. It's worth the effort!

8. The Pernice Brothers - Snow

Or, if you prefer, from the same album: Pisshole In The Snow. Joe Pernice is a big Morrissey fan, you know.

7. Black Sabbath - Snowblind

Ozzy's got icicles in his brain. This could explain so much. (What do you mean it's a metaphor?)

6. Jackie Leven - Stopped by Woods on a Snowy Evening

A poem by Robert Frost, given gorgeous voice by the late Jackie Leven. As beautiful as a fresh snowfall.

5. Divine Comedy - Snowball in Negative
All through this short life we give of ourselves
Giving and giving and slowly diminishing
Leaving a mark that will gradually fade
Ash in the breeze, snowballs in negative
4. Handsome Family - The Snow White Diner

The first Handsome Family song I ever heard and still a favourite. As the youtube poster remarks, it's "very Twin Peaksy".

3. JJ72 - Snow

Another lost classic from a great little indie band named after 72 jam jars. (Or so says the ever unreliable t'internet.)

2. Anne Murray - Snowbird

Not only is this a beautiful song, but Anne Murray was also once the world's best female celebrity golfer. Elvis's version is pretty good, but he was rubbish with a golf club.

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow

Nick goes all Mike Oldfield on our snowy ass. Chilling... in every sense of the word. 

I waved to my neighbour
My neighbour waved to me
But my neighbour
Is my enemy
I kept waving my arms
Till I could not see
Under fifteen feet of pure white snow



Those were my snowy songs... which one gets you all flakey?


7 comments:

  1. Great no.1 choice! My only suggestion is:

    'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow' by Frank Zappa ('Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost included Ooberman's song Yellow Snow which is about sexual awakening / coming of age type stuff through the metaphor of yellow snow... and, even more disturbing, takes place in Bradford.

      Delete
    2. Huge controversy happening in our house about Frosty the snowman. Daughter insists its nothing to do with Chrstmas whereas I'm insisting its still crap.

      Delete
    3. Well, as Frosty is on the Phil Spector Christmas album, I'm afraid that's where I place him, even though the lyrics don't specifically mention the festive season. As to your own insistence... I'll leave that to the collective.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I just lost a bet with myself - I was certain you'd suggest Prince - Sometimes It Snows In April.

      Delete
    2. Doh. Forgot that one... but good that my choice foxed you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...