Tuesday 15 January 2019

Radio Songs #50 - The Ghost (Part 4)


It's been a while since I last wrote about how the radio station I used to work in was haunted. If you can suspend your disbelief, here are the first three posts...




When last we spoke, I'd decided to move from MCR, where I used to answer calls for the Late Night Phone-In, to the adjacent Studio C. MCR had become too cold, uncomfortable and weird... and it was too close to the Racks Room where scary things kept happening and nobody ever wanted to go.

I'd been in Studio C for a few weeks when the worst thing happened. On the surface, it probably doesn't seem as frightening as seeing a white figure walking towards me then disappear in front of my eyes... but it had a much more profound effect. Writing it down now, it doesn't seem like much at all... but at the time, it scared the hell out of me.

One night, after eleven. The Phone-In had started, I was taking calls in Studio C, calling people back, lining them up, passing on info to the DJ via talkback. (This would probably be done via computer these days, but this is so long ago that there weren't any computers in the radio studios back then!) The same thing I did night after night. Nothing special. I certainly wasn't thinking about the ghost as things had been quiet on that front lately.

And then it breathed on me.

From right behind me.

A heavy sigh: I felt its breath on the back of my neck and heard the exhalation.

You have to remember that radio studios are soundproofed and even the ventilation is silent (plus I wasn't sitting under the air vents). But something was there, right behind me, and it sighed.

I ran. Through two heavy pairs of soundproofed studio doors (each studio has an internal and external door to aid soundproofing), straight into the on-air studio, in a blind panic. I slammed that door behind me with my back up against it. And the presenter looked at me like I was insane.

I didn't sleep that night. For the rest of the week, I had to keep the lights on at home. Writing about it now, 20 years later, it sounds like nothing. But at the time it was terrifying.

And I wasn't the only person to experience this ghostly breath.



4 comments:

  1. You've scared the life out of me just reading this - I can only imagine how YOU must have felt. Thanks for telling us this story so well; I've been in suspense since you started the series and, don't worry, believe every word. I'm not sure I'd have been able to go back into that building.

    By the way, seeing as you were on the phone-in, it brings a whole new meaning to 'the heavy breather'...perhaps they were curious and just wanted to join in?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's my restful night's sleep out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've experienced the sensation that feels like someone's breath, but it can usually be explained by a draught from an open window or vent. In your case not so easy to explain. Just as well you weren't alone at the station that night - would have been truly scary and would have probably resulted in dead airtime with you promptly departing the building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed anybody is still reading this twaddle. I'm only writing it down to record it for posterity, before my memory goes completely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...