Thursday 24 January 2019

Radio Songs #51 - The Ghost (Part 5)



I found an old notebook over the Christmas period that I'd kept at the time of the spooky events detailed thus far in the tale of my haunted radio station. Back then I still entertained the ridiculous pipe-dream that I was going to be a writer, so I kept notebooks on everything.

Here are a few incidents that were relayed to me by colleagues at the time...

One DJ, first to arrive in the building, switched off the alarm and realised he was bursting for a wee. Ran down the corridor to the toilets... when he got there, the hand-dryers were both on.

A "very down-to-earth" and "not at all sensationalistic" (quoting from my youthful notes) journalist was working alone in the newsroom when a telephone directory (Remember them? Remember how big and thick and heavy they were?) "flew" off the shelf behind him and crashed to the floor. "It didn't just fall," he swore, "it leapt!"

Another early morning DJ, pulling his records off the shelves in the library to prepare for his show, heard a "grunt" behind him. He turned to look but there was nobody there. Moments later he heard the same grunt from further down the corridor. He was still the only one in the building.

Switchboard buttons were pressed in empty studios. This was reported by two separate colleagues - simultaneously working in Studio A and Studio B one night... they both realised the buttons must have been pressed in Studio C, which was empty.

The switchboard caused me similar problems some nights. Generally we had it switched off so it didn't ring while we were taking calls, the lights just flashed to indicate callers. A couple of times, the switchboard started ringing midway through the evening. The button was underneath the switchboard: you had to lift it up to turn it off or on.

And finally (for now) there was the whistle. I heard this twice. A loud, clear "whee-oo-wheet!" whistle heard from inside the room where I was working (on both occasions with another colleague who also heard it) when nobody else was present. Others heard the same whistle at different times.



7 comments:

  1. Spooky. You should've got that Derek Acorah bloke in - or an exorcist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hand-dryers on anecdote. You should use that in a story. Because (gentle reminder) you are a writer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Martin says you ARE still a writer - Great material in those notebooks so good you still have them. Definitely convinced by your ghost now - Don't think those instances (especially the heavy phone dir.) can be explained any other way. Did you ever research the history of the building I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As said above, you are a (great) writer and I'm also curious about the history of the building and whether anyone got in a ghost buster! Hoping you'll be covering all this in future instalments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's fantastic that you've held onto your notebooks, Rol. Mine, containing a lot of crappy poetry, were jettisoned years ago (though I wish I could revisit the thoughts, feelings and dreams that my young self was dwelling upon in those years.)

    I love a good ghost story and thoroughly enjoyed your post.

    Don't know if you're interested, but here's Hank Williams' original: (I'll leave the link up for today only.)

    https://app.box.com/s/x1b3u2wx7x2yfd0eolnvfk5mzun6rh0d

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...