Friday 18 January 2019

The United Kingdom of Song #15: Doncaster


I went to Doncaster yesterday. It was a lot further than I thought it would be, so I was late.

I never saw the castle.

Jeremy Clarkson comes from Donnie. But don't blame Donnie for that. Tony Christie was also born a few miles away. Emma Peel from The Avengers and the only woman ever to marry James Bond... tragically... Dame Diana Rigg also hails from the town. And the guitarist from Babyshambles. Who's probably a lot less annoying than Pete Docherty.

Best of all though... John Parr, he of St. Elmo's Fire fame... recently featured on Saturday Snapshots... originates from Donnie according to iffypedia (although he was born in nearby Worksop). Oh, and if you think John Parr only ever did St. Elmo's Fire, you're obviously not familiar with his Number One American Rock hit Naughty Naughty. You owe it to yourself to watch that video, while reminding yourself throughout... This. Man. Is. From. Doncaster.

I could only find one song that mentions Doncaster. It's from Manchester band the Courteeners and it also mentions Dundee... but I'm sure I'll find other songs for Dundee when we get up there. Anyway, this is a good song by a band who deserve more credit. They're kind of what Oasis could have been... if Oasis had been any good. Lead singer Liam Fray has a little of bit of Morrissey in his vocal style too... you could say he's like a Morrissey with some strings.

I miss the city I love but I've been having an affair
With L.A and New York, 
Dundee and Doncaster 
If you should care. 



1 comment:

  1. John Parr from Doncaster - Always assumed he was American. That is a pretty awful video clip - Naughty JP

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...