Thursday 22 October 2020

My Top Ten Social Distancing Songs

 


Step back, please. As we all head back into lockdown, it's time to social distance in song...


10. The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me

Let's start with the obvious one, eh?

All the girls in Mr. Sting's class fancied their teacher.

9. Hall & Oates - So Close

A mismatched romance, contained one of the great lyrical couplets to describe such an inequality...

He fell like a rock, 
She kinda liked him.

But as for being relevant to our current predicament, try this...

We believe in tomorrow, though we're stuck in today.
Baby we're so close, so close, yet so far away.

8. Dire Straits - So Far Away

I'm tired of bein' in love and bein' all alone
When you're so far away from me
I'm tired of makin' out on the telephone
'Cause you're so far away from me

Bonus track with the same title...

Stephen Duffy - So Far Away

When I was a young, young man
Back in the Twentieth Century
Well, you made your own amusements then
Flying to the moon

The benefit of hindsight
Is always black and white
There always were contrasting ways
To help you through the night
From bright morning star to morning sun

But they are so far away
That I won’t even ask them to stay

7. Richard Thompson - Keep Your Distance

Keep your distance, keep your distance
When I feel you close to me what can I do but fall
Keep your distance, oh keep your distance
With us it must be all or none at all

6. Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing

Solitude stands in the doorway
And I'm struck once again by her black silhouette
By her long cool stare and her silence
I suddenly remember each time we've met

5. Astrid - Distance

Now that you're far away
I can feel the distance
They say it's only fresh air
But I can feel the distance
And the sun always shines
When you walk my way
Baby, I wonder
Is it sunny with you today?

4. Bruce Springsteen - You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

Mess around and you'll end up in dutch, boy

3. Justin Currie - You Will Always Walk Alone

Lying asleep at night under the watching ceiling light
Safe in the fortress of your home
Remember you'll always walk alone

2. The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You

I
Can turn the grey sky blue
I can make it rain, whenever I want it to, oh I
I can build a castle from a single grain of sand
I can make a ship sail, on dry land tell 'em yeah
But my life is incomplete and I'm so blue
'Cause I can't get next to you

1. The Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Still one of the great unsung rock 'n' roll songs...

No hug-ee, no kiss-ee... glad I'm not dating in lockdown.



If you want to leave a suggestion in the comments box, make sure it's at least two metres from anyone else's.



10 comments:

  1. Possible mention for How Soon Is Now? for the lyric So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own - well you would, wouldn't you, these days? Although the idea of going to a club in the first place may be problematic, particularly for Tiers 2 and 3. Undoubtedly problematic enough to make you cry and want to die, on going home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't imagine Morrissey has much problem social distancing these days...

      Delete
  2. I wonder if Stephen Duffy had listened to the Incredible String Band 1967 song "Way Back In the 1960's":

    "I was a young man back in the 1960s.
    Yes, you made your own amusements then,
    Going to the pictures..."

    Great to see the Georgia Satellites clinch the #1 spot on your list.

    Howzabout "Friends In The Distance" by Poco for social distancing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack followed by Eric Carmen? Truly you are reaching the MOR years, CC.

      Delete
  4. Shame Billy Idol didn't make the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only because I didn't think of it, John! Damn! Dancing With Myself is a top tune.

      Delete
  5. I knocked up a Top 10 back in May time like this, but then thought it'd already been done. Same Number one too.

    Also suggested: Motorhead and Girlschool - Please Don't Touch

    (or Johnny Kidd & The Pirates if you prefer)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...