Friday 12 February 2021

Positive Songs For Negative Times #40: I Just Wasn't Made For These Times


But then again, which of us could say we were?

I take Sam to school, with the other "key worker" kids. We stand in the playground, the handful of guilty-looking, worn out parents... wearing masks, because adults have to wear masks, even in the playground. When it's raining or snowing and everyone's got their hoods up or hats on, it's hard to even recognise a friendly face.

The kids tear around as if everything was normal though. Yes, half their friends are at home, and their teacher teaches half the week from home, half in school. But nothing seems to phase them. 

The reception class is empty this week because one of the kids had a positive Covid test so now even the keyworker kids are isolating for a fortnight.

Sometimes I feel very sad
Sometimes I feel very sad

3 comments:

  1. I don't think any of us were made for these times. Even a borderline misanthrope like myself is actually missing seeing people in 3D.
    A half-arsed joke finished with a knowing smile doesn't work anymore because of the mask.
    Oh ... I'm still not convinced that Pet Sounds is the absolute classic it's made out to be. It's very good, and to paraphrase Gerald The Gorilla "the production on that album is amazing". Just not sure it really is up there with the ones you'd go back into a burning building for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go back in that burning building for God Only Knows alone.

      Delete
    2. You'd get my vote on that one, Rol.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...