Wednesday 17 February 2021

Positive Songs For Negative Times #41: Change of Career

 


I dream, of course, of changing career. The only problem is that most alternatives either don't pay enough to keep up with the mortgage... or potentially demand even more of my time and energy than I'm currently sacrificing.

And then there are the dream jobs, the ones you know you'll never have, but oh... you can dream. For years I fooled myself into believing being a professional writer didn't fit into that category, but reality slowly tightens its grip around your throat as middle age beckons.

An alternative Dream Job though, would be finding unexpected old music to soundtrack movies... like Quentin Tarantino does for his own films, but providing that same service for less musically literate directors. I often hear an old song and think, that would be great in a soundtrack. I especially like it when films use music surprisingly or incongruously. Nobody will ever hear Stuck In The Middle With You in the same way after watching Reservoir Dogs or Misrilou after Pulp Fiction.


All this is to lead into today's track which I heard the other day while getting down to the Greatest Hits of Peter, Paul & Mary (don't judge me... ah, hell, what am I saying? It's way too late for that.) Despite its religious origins, I can't help but think this would be a great song to soundtrack a getaway drive in an action thriller... I might even cast P, P and M if they show up looking as cool as they do in the photo at the top of this page.


(A quick YouTube search shows me the sound trackers of Mad Men already beat me to this selection. Oh well. Back to the drawing board...)

11 comments:

  1. If you haven't already you need to watch Baby Driver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my favourite car chase scene ever.

      Delete
  2. I had to set up a whole new category for Tarantino picks and my favourite new discovery of last year was something from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Would I have been able to make equally as good however - No way. He is the master.

    Not surprised your pick has already appeared in Mad Men as they get through a lot of music per episode and it’s always spot on.

    I shared a class yesterday with a lot of young people who still think they are all going to earn their living as professional writers. It can’t be lost on them however that all the teaching staff used to be just like them. But, never too old, so let’s keep that dream alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now is probably the worst time to be embarking on a writing career with all the novels and screenplays that will flood agent's desks post-lockdown (written by those lucky souls who found themselves with extra time on their hands!)

      Delete
    2. True but people have been reading a lot more and might keep up the habit when things (hopefully) improve. My blog had kind of plateaued in terms of traffic this time last year but since the first lockdown the figures have trebled. Hope it’s the case anyway.

      Delete
    3. I stopped looking at my stats ages ago. You guys are the only evidence I have that anyone reads this... and in many ways, you're the only evidence I need.

      Delete
  3. There are some TV shows with great music. My favourites would be "True Detective" (although not Season 2), "Justified" and "Ozark".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All great shows. I know some bands have had their careers saved by being featured in TV soundtracks.

      Delete
  4. When I posted Trouble Town by Jake Bugg as the theme tune to the TV series Happy Valley I got my biggest ever audience by far

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe it's always worth keeping the dream alive, just in the background, keep it quietly stoked, don't lose it - you just never know when or how things can change. Sometimes they do in unexpected ways which send you off down a totally different path (I know whereof I speak!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...