Friday 30 June 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #95: Dr. Samuel Johnson

Everything I know about Dr. Samuel Johnson, I learned from Blackadder. As an English teacher, I can say with some authority that it's really all you need to know. Except that he once wrote that, "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life". And if that's the case, I know a hell of a lot of people who are fed up with living.

Over the last year, I have encountered a couple of fine songs that reference the first man in dictionary corner... so I was sure I'd be able to find some more with a little digging. 

Let's start in 1923...

Ernest Hare & Al Bernard - Samuel Johnson (Get Thee Gone From Here)

And if we drop his Christian name, I'm guessing these will also suffice...

Eat that mighty apple
Crawl across the ceiling
Force feed her a bundle
Dr. Johnson's got the feeling

The Fat White Family - Fringe Runner

I am a little beggarman and beggin′ I have been
In Dr. Johnson′s motorcar I′ll take you home Kathleen

Paddy goes to Holyhead - Seldom Sober

Meanwhile, today's finest discovery are called Tankus The Henge. Yes, they are.

Well there's old Dr. Johnson with a hole in his eye
He don't know how to fight, but he knows how to die
There's someone outside in the corridor now
Pulls open the shutter, and takes a bow
The window to the track is rivetted shut
Poor old Dr .Johnson he ain't got much luck
As the ticket inspector come along for the dead
And sees the curves of a girl silhouetted instead

Tankus The Henge - The Deviationist Society

Now, when I extended my search to include Johnson's famous quote about London, all kind of things crawled out of the woodwork. All kinds of Dirty Pretty Things for a start...

How can they be tired of London?
The scents in the air on a warm day
Generation of hope that sees better days
But moving along in the same old ways

Dirty Pretty Things - Tired of England

And then there's this little seafood delight...

Tired of London, tired of life
Tired of London, tired of life
Tired of London, tired of life
Tired of London, tired of life

King Prawn - Gather Round

The two artists I had in mind when I decided to feature Dr. Johnson here both mention him by name and reference his love of the capital... though they do seem to disagree with that quote somewhat.

Dr. Samuel Johnson
You were very nearly right
I was tired of London
But I would never tire of life


That's not the album version, but a lovely live recording featuring Chris T-T on piano.

Jim Bob has a new album out today. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the post, but from what I've heard, it could be his best yet.

Frank Turner, meanwhile, mentions Dr. Johnson twice in song. Firstly here...

Wandering Rosebery Avenue
I could only think of you
Facing Samuel Johnson down
A soul to wear down London Town


And, most notably, on this glorious tune from his most recent record...

I got tired of London
Not tired of life
I'm so sorry, my darling
To leave you behind


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...