Friday 16 June 2023

Self-Loathing Friday #5: A Plumber's Handkerchief


I look like ten miles of bad road
And I smell like a plumber's handkerchief 

This is Otis Gibbs, an Americana singer who might well have a serious inferiority complex...

I got a stiff leg and a slow walk
I'm as graceful as a tank of shit

Well, I know how you feel, Otis.


Despite, or perhaps because of, his self-image problems, Otis has a lot going for him. He's made some great records and hosts his own thoughtful and entertaining podcast about rock history and songwriting. His songs tell some amazing and often heartbreaking stories, like the one about the vagrant murdered for $3.65, the one about the legendary black boxer who fought against segregation,  and the one about the man who builds his own Harley Davidson out of spare parts. But is that enough to make a living for a jobbing musician these days? 

I was hanging with fans and shaking hands
At the merch table after the show
Trying to raise enough cash to buy a tank of gas
So I could make it through to Buffalo

It's hard to sell a CD when they can stream it for free
I might need a new line of work
You might think it's a blast, but you know you wouldn't last
Ten minutes on this tour

After I heard that one, I went straight to Otis's website and ordered a couple of his CDs. He posted them himself, from the States, with a thank you note.



5 comments:

  1. I've been lucky enough to see Otis live quite a few times over the years. A top man apart from his inexplicable dislike of black pudding. I don't know what the other CD you bought was but "Grandpa Walked A Picketline" is a personal favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear Otis travels to the UK. Unless you saw him on your travels...

      Delete
    2. I've got his 3 most recent CDs now, so not ventured as far back as ..Picketline.

      Delete
    3. He used to come over pretty much every year in the mid-2000s to early-2010s, less often these days. I missed him the last time he was over a couple of years ago, but he's well worth seeing if you get the chance.

      If you dropped me a line at the email address at my place I could put together a little sampler for you from 'Picketline' and some of the other earlier albums as a small, inadequate thank you for all the Saturday quizzes

      Delete
  2. You might say he has a superior inferiority complex...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...