Thursday 22 June 2023

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #95: Wasted Youth


Spring has been particularly glorious this year. Especially the hawthorn blossom, which has exploded. 
The hillside across from us is painted white, like it's been snowing.

Young Galaxy - Youth Is Wasted On The Young

So sang George Bernard Shaw with his 21st Century Canadian dream-pop band... or perhaps I'm mixing up my sources. The insane pop culture reference library that is my brain is getting a little clogged up with an abundance of trivia... no chance of remembering what I'm having for tea tonight then. 

When we’re young, we have all the time in the world… and yet we fritter it away. We don’t realise how valuable it is, because life seems endless. So we do whatever the hell we want and don’t worry about tomorrow. Many’s the pop song that has been written about this subject, but this is the one that best captures that sense of youthful headonism… or it’s the first that springs to mind today, anyway.

Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe – We Are Young

I don't recall many nights like the ones Nate Ruess sings about there. A few, I guess, but not as many as most. I spent a large part of my wasted youth chasing the twin fantasies of a radio career and best-selling authordom.

The Colourfield – Castles In The Air

Don McLean – Castles In The Air

Not to mention…

Bob Lind – Elusive Butterfly

Was it a waste? 

No.

Considering how down I’m feeling lately, do I regret my “wasted youth”?

No, that’s not it. After all, as Jim Steinman wrote…

A wasted youth is better by far 
Than a wise and productive old age

Meat Loaf - Everything Louder Than Everything Else

And it's important to remember what Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again." 

The only problem with inspirational quotes (and Crazy Eleanor had a box full of them) is that they don't work on the terminally cynical. Still, they obviously made an impression on Jim...

We've gotta' fast, we were born out of time
Born out of time and alone
And we'll never be as young as we are right now
Runnin' away and runnin' for home




8 comments:

  1. What gets me is recognising there are certain things I've done for the last time already, and noticing new "lasts" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refer the honourable gentleman here...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkoquUvD98

      Delete
    2. Very good. Was not expecting to see KITT though.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised you didnt see the opportunity to link in with yr Galaxie 500 post, and mention their amazing cover of "Don't Let Our Youth Go To Waste". Here's a recent(ish) vid of Dean playing it (and its brilliant)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X-EHldG7BA

    Also - what about "Youth" by Daughter ?

    "We are the reckless, we are the wild youth
    Chasing visions of our futures
    One day, we'll reveal the truth
    That one will die before he gets there"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdA8Sts4RIY

    Steve M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this will be a theme I return to.

      Are you on commission for Dean Wareham?

      Delete
    2. They've announced 3 live Luna LPs in the past week or so - I wish I was on a commission !

      Delete
  3. I was rather into the band Wasted Youth (featuring Rocco Barker who was also in Flesh For Lulu) in my torn black lace dress post-punk years. 'I Wish I Was A Girl' was a favourite track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5yU0eQzig if you like that kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To quote Mr Weller, 'Life is a drink and you get drunk when you're young.'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...