Wednesday 21 June 2023

Product Placement #16: Old Spice


When I was a small boy, I drank a whole bottle of Old Spice aftershave and had to go to hospital. Or so the story goes. I'm not entirely sure how this was possible, since in my memory, Old Spice bottles only allowed a few drops out at a time, so I must have been sucking on that white plastic teat for ages. You might well ask "Was Old Spice so delicious to a 3 year old that he wanted to keep on suckling that bottle till he'd drained it dry?" To which I have no real response. An easier question to deal with is, "Where were your parents?" We all know the answer to that one: it was the 70s. 

I do wonder if this early escapade put me off alcohol and stopped me joining the teenage drinkers in High School... I was vehemently tee total until I turned 21. Made up for it in the 90s, then quit at the turn of the Millennium for health reasons. Haven't touch a drop since: booze or Old Spice.

Back in the 70s, men only really had the choice of two aftershaves, as far as I can tell. It was Old Spice or Brut... which cost more, because you had to "splash it all over". Old Spice was my dad's choice back then, and it definitely had the classier advert...

The music was O Fortuna, the opening section of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, which (like many people, it seems) I always thought was used in The Omen. It wasn't, but it was later used in The X-Factor, so there's definitely a satanic connection.

My dad stopped wearing aftershave when I was a teenager. But the scent of Old Spice still takes me back to my childhood... thankfully not my trip to Casualty.

Here are some songs that mention Old Spice... none of them are about Victoria Beckham or Geri Halliwell. (That gag wouldn't have worked for Emma.) This first one is particularly apt... 

Sometimes I think about my daddy
And his Old Spice grin
Cleaned pressed shirts, and a farmers tan

Slaid Cleaves - Flowered Dresses

Time for a slightly less fragrant memory... 

I can smell his cousin's Polo mixing with his grandpa's Old Spice and the
Swedish meatballs look so tempting that his two fat aunts might even fight



Wait - the smell gets worse!

And I can taste the bleach on your breath 
Covering the Old Spice and cigarettes 



The businessman beside me smelt like Old Spice and gin
The lady to the left was talking about her grandchildren
Two kids behind me were screaming for their mom
She was screaming back, I wonder how come


I've known some arrogant worms in my time. I'm sure you have too.


Splashing on the aftershave was part of the ritual many young men performed in order to prepare for pulling... or trying to pull. 

I took a fresh pack of Luckies
And a mint called Sen-Sen
My old man's Trojans
And his Old Spice aftershave



Often it was the scent of desperation. 

There they go again,
Covered in Old Spice,
They think they will get the girls,
'Cause they smell nice!


Still, whatever you think of Old Spice, it's got to smell better than Lynx. One more reason to treasure the good old days.

Drapes and quaff are all in place
Old Spice splashed on a fresh cut facе
Putting on a tie of the old boot lace
Creepеrs and a 30 inch waist


Even if the Old Spice did help you find romance, there was no guarantee it'd last...

Here's a little Old Spice you can put it on your pillow
In the spot where I used to lay my head

Ricky Van Shelton - Baby, Take a Picture

And even if it did, you'd probably stop wearing it after awhile. How long then before the infidelity sets in...?

You come home all hours of the night 
The fragrance on you ain't Old Spice 



You got that guilty look in your eye
And you smell like Old Spice on your skin
So there ain't no way that you can lie


I guess in the days of Paco Rabanne, Ralph Lauren and Johnny Depp's Sausage, Old Spice is old hat. What do the young people have to say about it?

You old Old Spice wearing
Short chain wearing
Dress shoes and jogging pants wearing
Church sock wearing...


I don't know if I have more respect for Kanye, knowing that he's sampled Billy Joel, or not. Also, "young people" - dude is 46 now. Almost as old as another artist I'll always think of as a "youngster", even though she'll be 50 next year...  

Old Spice is nice
But sweat is better


Here's a random sprinkling of tunes that named themselves after my beverage of choice as a toddler...



I don't think that's actually the famous Creed, though to these uncultured ears, they sound pretty much the same.


And second to last, but not second to least, some rare XTC...

They sailed in the shallows now they've paid the price
The captain drank the champagne but it tasted like Old Spice
How can we free, how can we free
The ship trapped in the ice


But it's John Grant who wins the prize today. A year's supply of Old Spice is winging its way to Iceland... don't drink it all at once, John.

You'd better watch out sugar, 'cause I'm about to get my Old Spice on

John Grant (featuring Midlake) - Chicken Bones


There is a video for that tune, but it breaks the song up to create a (very entertaining) narrative, so I linked to the album version instead. He still gets his Old Spice on in the video though. 

 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah yes. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

      Delete
  2. More satanic connections for O Fortuna: Ozzy Osborne uses it as walk on music

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh Rol, I have such an image forming in my head of a toddler version of you sucking on that bottle of Old Spice. I guess it does look a little like a milk bottle and there's a joke in there about how your breath must have smelt rather nice but... well, I'm just glad you survived the ordeal....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...