Monday 20 February 2017

The Top Ten Songs I Hated When I Was A Kid... #2

...but like or love now.

It's time to get Nutty.



2. Madness - Baggy Trousers

I was 8 years old when Madness released the single that defined their "Nutty Boys" image. And at my junior school, the tough kids loved it. They'd jump up and down in their junior DMs, pulling your hair and encouraging you to eat dirt in honour of their favourite song. I've always hated bullies, so it follows that I'd hate their music too... especially when they were ramming it down my throat. Along with their fist.

As the years went by, I grew to like and respect Madness, although their greatest moment was a Labi Siffre cover, and I still find Suggs annoying. Listening to Baggy Trousers now though, I can appreciate the witty observational detail of the lyrics, particularly, "all the teachers in the pub, passing round the Ready Rub". But it still makes me feel a little of that 8 year old's anxiety, the fear of the school bully. Ironically, I got off lightly at junior school: I suffered far worse at high school, by which time Baggy Trousers was a distant memory.
Oh what fun we had
But at the time it seemed so bad...



9 comments:

  1. Its funny that of the two so far in this series, they're both songs and bands I have always adored! My memories of Baggy Trousers are much fonder, including leading some virtual strangers/fellow holidaymakers up the hotel staircase in a 'Madness stomp' stylee to it one evening in Bodrum, Turkey 1996!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sound like better memories than mine!

      Delete
  2. Given your personal history, I get why you didn't like it, but I'm glad you were able to sort this one out, Rol. Love Madness... especially the singles during the Stiff era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went back and read No. 1. Missed it the first time round. What a fantastic series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Brian says, I completely get why didn't like it and pleased you can appreciate it in a different light now, although it's understandable why you'd still feel a little of that 8-year old's anxiety. Like certain smells, I think music is incredibly evocative and impossible to separate from certain memories.
    For me, Baggy Trousers is all about college, and one friend there who used to look a lot like Suggs, he used to wear similar clothes too, so in my head since I've always associated him with Madness. Anyway we lost touch after we left college in 1982, until a few years ago when we reunited for a long chatty lunch (quite amazing actually, having not seen each other for over 30 years!). Well, I mentioned that I had this memory of him being into Madness, thinking he'd be delighted at me recalling such a detail. Instead, he was really baffled - apparently he'd never been much of a fan! Shows how our memories play tricks on us....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story - and it definitely smells better than mine!

      Delete
  5. Always loved Madness although I totally get that they sadly offered up bad memories for you for some time. I wrote about them last year after seeing them on stage at Glastonbury with their grandchildren. I saw them during The 2 Tone Tour (nice ring to it) of '79 when they were still just teenagers! Watched from the balcony as Chas Smash surreptitiously inflicted damage on an undesirable fan whilst looking as if he was dancing - He had just that style of dancing which was great fun to copy back in the day, as opposed to those Kenny (Foot-less) Loggins moves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was going to say how can anyone dislike Baggy Trousers until I read your post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...