Thursday 23 February 2017

February #2: Used Soul


Last week's Kenny Gamble post made me realise just how infrequently I post old soul tunes on this blog... which is odd, considering soul makes up a sizable chunk of my record collection. It's probably because soul songs tend to be (not exclusively) about more traditional songwriting topics (love, heartbreak, loneliness, listening to grapevines, et. al.) than my usual more oddly themed Top Tens. Anyway, I decided to try and redress the balance a little, and where better to start than one of my favourite old soul stars...?

When I worked in radio, there was a DJ who used the same gag whenever he played a record by this artist. "It never stopped being hilarious."

"How do you turn a parrot into a soul singer?"

"Put it in a microwave until its bill withers."

Badum-tish.

I have great respect for Bill Withers though. Beyond the obvious hits, he also produced some lesser-known gems and great albums throughout the 70s. Then, after being messed about by CBS for years, he grew tired of the music industry in the mid-80s and packed it in altogether  He's not recorded or performed since, and I'm not sure what he's up to these days, but I'll always be grateful for songs like this one...

2. Bill Withers - Use Me





15 comments:

  1. In which I go for the pedant of the year award...

    Except parrots have beaks, not bills. Now if it had been a duck... or better still, a platypus...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, he might have said budgie. But I'm pretty sure budgies have beaks too.

      Delete
    2. Maybe go for "overcharging mechanic" or anything non-avian with a large bill... (I know, I should get out more)

      Delete
    3. Not today. Storm Doris will get you.

      Delete
  2. Nice one, Rol. I also adore his "Ain't No Sunshine."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic performance. I remember the 'Live at Carnegie Hall' album being rather special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must track that down.

      Delete
    2. Live at Carnegie Hall is almost a tremendous album, but it has a terrible version of Lean on Me. So it's just a very very good album.

      Delete
  4. Can I join the party and recommend I Can't Write Left Handed

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years back BBC4 showed a great documentary "Still Bill: The Bill Withers Story", which is really worth seeing. It's no longer available on the Beeb website, but you can watch it on UToob:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0thRH4qucU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that'll definitely be worth a watch.

      Delete
  6. Apart from the Carnegie album, try the +'Justments album.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...