Wednesday 8 February 2017

Kenny Wednesdays #1 - Fast & Loose



Last week's post on Kenny Rogers & The First Edition was received far better than expected, to the point that Brian at Linear Tracking Lives! suggested I "Keep the Kenny comin'".

I'm sure this isn't what he had in mind, but over the next 10 weeks, I'll be posting a different Kenny every Wednesday. I was surprised how many Kennies I found... I've already got more than ten, and I'm sure you guys will have a few suggestions. And the great thing is, I can promise you now, very few (in fact, potentially only a couple of them) will be Muso-Friendly.

We'll get back to Kenny Rogers sooner or later, but let's start with another huge name of the 80s... although not as huge in the UK as in the US.



KENNY WEDNESDAYS #1: Kenny Loggins

Kenny Loggins started out as a songwriter in the late 60s. His first compositions were recorded by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Bans, though he was never a member of that group himself. He went on to team up with Jim Messina (formerly of Eagles influencers Poco and a post-Neil Young member of Buffalo Springfield) to record a number of successful US soft rock albums in the mid-70s. Loggins & Messina never really troubled the UK airwaves though, and neither did any of Kenny's later solo albums (although they all went Platinum in the US).

And then came Footloose...

I loved Footloose when I was a kid. It's pure 80s hokum - fleet-footed Kevin Bacon falls for the daughter of Fire 'n' Brimstone preacher John Lithgow who believes rock 'n' roll is the devil's music. (It is, let's face it. That's why it's so cool.)

Now, I've never been a dancer. And you won't find a lot of dance records making their way onto this blog because, as Moz once sang, they say nothing to me about my life. But few records are likely to get me tapping my toes like Footloose. It makes me feel like a teenager again. (Although not like the teenager I actually was.)

Loggins went on to record the theme to Top Gun too, but I never really got Top Gun. I watched it, sure: it was required viewing if you were a teenager in the mid-80s, but I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about. They were all a bunch of dicks. Footloose though... wow.


16 comments:

  1. Toe-tapping stuff indeed. Though by ignoring the Top Gun soundtrack, you miss out on Danger Zone and the chance to reference Archer a lot. Never mind, I've just done it for you.

    Can't wait to see how your shoe-horn the two most important Kennys of all (Everett and Dalglish) into this list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is a definite (and easily included); the other... sadly, I fear I may have to irk the sportos too. I never was a football fan.

      Delete
  2. Does this mean we're in danger of a tune from the permed saxophonist Kenny who has one letter as his surname?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's always a possibility, since I think the sax is a much-maligned instrument and a perm isn't the most heinous crime in rock...Unless you're Michael Bolton.

      Having checked my library though, I only own one track by the gentleman in question, and it's a duet with a far more respectable artist, so if I do head in that direction, it might not be TOO bad...

      Delete
  3. A great idea for a series - nod to Brian there
    I am looking forward to the Bump and perhaps some King Creosote?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latter is more likely than the former, having listened to The Bump again (yes, I do own it...God knows how!). I might have to hand that one out to volunteers...

      Delete
  4. 'Kenny Wednesdays' has such a great ring to it that you had me at the series title alone, whether or not I'll like the ones concerned! I'm just looking forward to seeing how many Kennies there are.
    Also love your astute line "It makes me feel like a teenager again. (Although not like the teenager I actually was.)" I have a feeling that's something a lot of people can identify with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wants to feel like the teenager they actually were?

      Delete
  5. Yes I like the sound of Kenny Wednesdays too - As for Loggins, not so much. I was a dancer back then but a bit of a dull song to dance to I always thought! Then again I was known to do The Bump back in the '70s so what do I know.

    As for your line about the teenage years, it's these American movies - Somehow they always seemed to have much cooler lives than us (although in Footloose the ban on music would have been a real problem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - I finally found the point where Alyson has to draw the line!

      Delete
    2. Just don't get me started on Nutbush City Limits - An awful song to dance to but exactly when all the non-dancers whoop with delight and take to the floor.

      Delete
    3. Ah. Another one of my favourites...

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed watching their m-o-o-ves! Let's roll up that rug and . . . DANCE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With who? This wallflower? Two left feet, I'm afraid...

      Delete
  7. Kenny Loggins is all about 80s movies for me.
    Perhaps Kenny G will make an appearance in your top 10 Kenny's, even though he is hated in some circles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, next week's post is a Kenny G... not that one though. Who knows where I'll go after that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...