Thursday 18 January 2018

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #13: Holding Mum's Hand



While dad was in hospital over Christmas, I drove mum into hospital to see him. Due to failing eyesight, she hasn't been able to drive for about 20 years now. We joke that this is a blessing to road users everywhere. The stories about when she was a driver are legendary. The time she drove up a one way street the wrong way. The time she nearly drove my grandma and me off a cliff. The time she drove over an open manhole just as the workman ducked his head back under the ground...

I have so much respect for how my mum has coped with her failing senses. She can't read anymore. Can't do crosswords or jigsaws. Sees faces mostly as blurs. Her hearing's going too (it's a family trait) and her hearing aid is even bigger than my dad's. But I've never once heard her complain about it. That generation, they went through the war as kids... they just get on with it.

Coming out of the hospital after visiting dad, it was starting to get dark.

"You'll have to help me," she said. "I can't see too well in this light."

I took her hand and walked her back to the car.

"It doesn't seem two minutes," she said, "since I was was holiding your hand as a little boy to keep you safe. It goes so quickly..."





9 comments:

  1. You'll have to excuse me Rol, I appear to have something in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story and a nifty song I've not heard before. Thank you for both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another recruit for the "something in my eye" brigade here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not crying - it's the onions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rol - A touching story and so true. The tables have turned for me and my mum too, so all very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely, so touching.
    I envy you your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ll take one of those tissues when you’re done, Swede.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lump in the throat as well as tear in the eye.

    JC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...