Wednesday 3 April 2019

My Top Ten Stalker Songs (Volume 3)



Hard to believe it's been nearly two years since I last did a list of Stalker songs. But pop stars just keep stalking... or getting stalked. Here are the first two entries...

Volume 1.

Volume 2.

And here's ten more...


10. Piebald - The Stalker

 Not much subtlety here - but at least he's honest!

I'll be the guy who drives past your house oh.
I'll be hiding behind your mirror, watching you crimp your hair.
I'll follow you with sunglasses on.

9. Green Day - See You Tonight

A little more subtely here... but not much, considering it's only a minute long.

Maybe I'll see you tonight
Maybe I'll see you tonight
Wherever the night takes you
Maybe you'll see me too

8. Simeon's Dilemma - Why?

Starts honest... gets more weird by the second!

Stalker's my whole style
And if I get caught, I'll
Deny, deny, deny

7. Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

Takes on a whole new level of creepiness these days if you know who sings the chrous...

6. Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me

So he's basically spying on her crying, and thinks he's the answer to her unhappiness. Men!

5. The Wedding Present - Heather

Throw a stone at the Wedding Present back catalogue and you'll hit a stalker anthem...

What makes you want to take him there?
What makes you think I wouldn't care?
And did you walk from the town into the heather
To where we used to lie down when we were together

4. Busted - That's What I Go To School For

I always quite like Busted for what they were: silly guitar pop for teens. I was too old by the time they came around to really be a fan, but fifteen years earlier I'd probably have had all their records.

I didn't realise how creepy this song was until I heard them on the radio recently doing an acoustic version of it. I like them a little bit more now.

So she may be thirty-three
But that doesn't bother me
Her boyfriend's working out of town
I find a reason to go 'round
I climb a tree outside her home
To make sure that she's alone
I see her in her underwear
I can't help but stop and stare

3. Randy Newman - Suzanne

Randy finds a girl's name scrawled on the wall in a telephone booth and decides she's the one for him.

And when you go to the pictures 
And I know you do 
Don't take no one with you 
'Cause I'll be there, too

2. Lionel Richie - Hello

Hard to believe this hasn't featured here already. I guess I've been holding on to it. As if the song wasn't scary enough, the video takes it to a whole other level.

1. The Go-Betweens - Eight Pictures

Very creepy song in which Robert Forster follows a lady around taking photos of her to prove her infidelity... I've been listening to a fair bit of early Go-Betweens lately, and this one jumped out at me.

I shot you with my camera
Caught you making love with him
And I shot you with my camera
Caught you doing things with him
And you can't complain
You can't cry
'Cause cameras never lie



Three volumes of this and you probably think I'm a stalker.

No, I'm merely an observer or other people's foibles.

(Same difference?)

3 comments:

  1. Sly and the Family Stone - "Somebody's Watching You" doesn't seem to be on any of your lists.

    Suzanne is creepy, but I think Randy Newman's creepiest song is "In Germany Before The War" supposedly based on the Fritz Lang film "M" which was all about a serial child killer.

    "A little girl has lost her way
    With hair of gold and eyes of gray
    Reflected in his glasses
    As he watches her..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. With this and the other volumes, you have just compiled the track list for the creepiest mixtape ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I could identify the photos on your Saturday quiz as quickly the one above. I used to watch MTV around the clock when that Rockwell video was all the rage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...