Monday 8 April 2019

2019 Contenders: What It Is


Scruffy Americana singers probably get more of my attention these days than any other kind of pop musician. If you look like you've just fallen off the back of a hay truck and you've got a bemused, The-World's-Gone-A-Bit-Wonky expression on your face, chances are I'm going to give your new record a try.

Hayes Carll has been on my radar for a while now, but What It Is is the first of his albums I've listened to immediately it came out.

Here he is with Alison Moorer, performing the opening track, one of those "Where've you been? Running round with other blokes?" songs that date right back to the blues. It should give you an idea of what to expect...




6 comments:

  1. I've a couple of his albums
    She left Me For Jesus is an amusing song.
    When I saw Allison Moorer he appeared from the wings for a song leading us to speculate whether they were romantically involved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! As I too look, most of the time, as if I've fallen off a hay truck I can relate to him.
      Interesting body language between the two of them.

      Delete
  2. Very good. Does CC know about this guy? Right up his street I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this - Great rapport between the two of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, love that rapport in the video.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...