Tuesday 2 April 2019

Hot 100 #46


Welcome back, you know the drill - songs featuring a different number every week, many of them suggested by you, counting down from 100 - 1.

The only band I could find with 46 in their name were acoustic bluesters 46 Long. Here they are playing Arnold's in Cincinatti.

46 proved a tougher number than of late, but you had a go nevertheless. Here's what you came up with...

The Swede set the bar real low, with Lost On Highway 46 by Sham 69... which he describes as "bloody shocking". I've heard worse. Much worse.

Then, since I'd previously announced that Toots & The Maytals - 54 - 46 Was My Number wouldn't be allowed to win a second time (having already claimed a victory in Week 54), The Swede wondered if The Clash - Jail Guitar Doors might stand a chance given that it quotes the above in its closing seconds. Well, anything's possible... particularly this week!

Now, last week I did mention that I had a strong contender in mind for this week's tune, which prompted Martin to wonder...
Are you thinking of 1941 by Nilsson, for the lines:

Well in 1941 a happy father had a son
And by 1944 the father walked right out the door
And in '45, the mom and son were still alive
But who could tell in '46 if the two were to survive


Or The Here and the Now by Loudon Wainwright III, which starts:

The strangest story ever told
Was how I got to be this old
At the close of WWII,
My folks did the deed that the young folks do
In '46 out I came, this world would never be the same!
Both excellent suggestions, by artists who do crop up on this blog relatively often, so either could have been in with a shot... but not this week.

Jim in Dubai was struggling a little this week too, his only suggestion being...

The Tom Robinson Band - 2 46 8 Motorway

...which is a top tune, and one of my son's favourites... but no, sorry Jim, I think that'd be bending the rules a little too much, even for me!

Meanwhile, all Rigid Digit could offer was another hearing from Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (46 = anechoic), but I'm sure I banned that song last week... but thanks, anyway. A very weird word, anechoic, it means "free from echo", like when snow muffles all the sound. Just in case you were wondering.

Finally, our Canadian correspondent, Douglas McClarlen, dropped by to offer a little more reggae...

Yellowman - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt 

He said he want me to join the army
I ain't gonna do it officer
No way, I ain't gonna do it
Turn out your left pocket
A searching for a Colt automatic
A searching if you have any ratchet
He said what is your number? I didn't answer
What is your number? I still don't answer
What is the number boy? I really don't answer
Him crank up him chopper, Mi momma!
Then me started to answer
Guess wha' me say?
64, 46, BMW!
64, 46, dat a BMW! Lord!

Douglas wasn't sure what all that was about, and I haven't got a clue. Fun though.

All of which makes me most grateful to have had a solid #46 contender in mind from the start, namely the divine Ms. Jenny Lewis (who I'll hopefully be seeing live later in the year) and her former band, Rilo Kiley...



45 next week... which should offer you HUNDREDS of possibilities. I should probably start working on next week's post immediately...



11 comments:

  1. 'Forty Five Hundred Times' by Status Quo - this one's for you Jez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. '45 & Fat' by Babybird. '5.45' by Gang of Four.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loads, basically:
    Cornershop's "Brimful of Asha" on the 45
    Deacon Blue's "Real Gone Kid" And I'll play you old 45s that now mean nothing to me... (hey, he should blog!)
    Gomez's "Bubble Gum Years" Whiskey bottle and a 45, my dear
    Fountains of Wayne: "Number 45 Sunblock"
    Neil Sedaka and "Our Last Song Together": Scratchy worn out 45's, an echo on the radio
    The Hollies, "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress": A pair of 45s made me open my eyes
    Blondie's "Bermuda Triangle Blues" begins Flight 45, last seen alive on the runway
    Elbow's "Jesus is a Rochdale Girl" has Jesus is a Rochdale girl, and 45 CDs
    Meatloaf and "Rock and Roll Hero": Stacks of scratched up 45's and taught myself how to sing
    Barry bleedin' Manilow (!) and "The Old Songs" includes if all those plans I made don't melt the lady's heart, I'll put on the old 45's
    Saint Etienne's "Home": Life seems so good, they're like the 45's when I dream I'm dreaming of you
    Bill Haley (and many others) and "Peppermint Twist": Well meet me baby down at 45th Street, where the Peppermint Twisters meet
    Repeat offenders Saint Etienne with "Teenage Winter": They'll never buy a Gibb Brothers record again, their old 45s gathering dust
    Aussie proggers The Church and "The Time Being" includes I use a .45 to give them some stick
    I'm going to stop there, I think. I'm getting obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Martin's choice of Deacon Blue's "Real Gone Kid" - possibly the best mention of 45 singles in any song.

    "Youth of Eglington" by Black Uhuru includes the line "The youth of Brixton they have their 45 Smith and Wesson pistol pistol"

    Van Morrison - "Wild Children" opens with
    "We were the War Children
    Born 1945
    When all the soldiers came marching home
    Love looks in their eye..."

    and FINALLY!

    Mary Chapin Carpenter - "John Doe No. 24" (a beautiful song) starts with
    "I was standing on this sidewalk
    In 1945 in Jacksonville, Illinois
    When asked what my name was there came no reply..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the world is crying out for some 1970s Dutch Rock with slight Bob Dylan undertones (albeit very rarely)

    Golden Earring - Another 45 Miles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my 45's offerings this week.

    Fourty Five 45's - Shrag, good indie pop tune.
    900 Number by The 45 King - Annoying dance tune from the late 80's

    I suppose many artists followed the Stars on 45 fad of the time.
    Blokes on 45 - Orange Juice
    Squabs on Forty Fab - Squeeze (Don't this will count :-)
    BAR's on 45 - BA Robertson

    Cheers Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see also:
      Chas & Dave - Stars Over 45
      Starturn on 45 (Pints)
      Ivor Biggun - Bras On 45

      Delete
  7. Confused by this one but 45 R.P.M by The Poppy Fields otherwise known as the Alarm.

    Got to include a Stars On 45 offering just to remind us what Jaap Eggermont & Co inflicted on us in the early 80s.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...