Tuesday 23 April 2019

Hot 100 #43


Farenheit 43 are an Australian rock band who cite their influences as The Eagles, John Mayer and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Quite.

(Except, you know, I like the Eagles. And John Mayer made a couple of good tunes once upon a time. And Iris... Iris was a half-decent song. Still, the cool ones among you are, I'm sure, recoiling in horror despite all that.)

Anyway, Number 43 in our countdown caused a little bit of head-scratching from the gallery... but you still managed to come up with the following...

Lynchie started us off this week with...
The Pretenders - I Hurt You
I been crying like a woman 
Because I'm mad, mad, mad like a man 
If you'd been in the S.S. in '43 
You'd have been kicked out for cruelty

Wow. That Chrissie Hynde. Doesn't pull her punches, does she?

Rigid Digit was up next, offering these...
Jethro Tull - Hymn 43
David Crosby & Graham Nash - Page 43
Both acceptable to my ears.

Then came C, with a track that featured on Saturday Snapshots a few weeks back...
Wolf Alice - Bros
Oh
Jump that 43
Are you wild like me?
Raised by wolves and other beasts

The Swede, meanwhile, only managed one suggestion this week...
Shrimp Boat (Sam Prekop's pre-Sea and Cake band) - Drought of '43
No link, I'm afraid. Couldn't find that one anywhere. Maybe The Swede made it up... No, I'm sure he wouldn't do that.

Finally, Douglas McClaren offering one of my favourite songs by this particular band, "a timely reminder of a very fine fine group that will sadly record no more." Indeed.
Frightened Rabbit - Old, Old Fashioned
So give me the soft, soft static
Of the open fire and the shuffle of our feet
We can both get old fashioned
Do it like they did in '43
Oh, let's get old fashioned
Back to how things used to be
If I get old, old fashioned
Would you get old, old fashioned with me?

Before we get to this week's clear winner though, here's a couple more my own library threw up...
Country Joe & The Fish - Section 43 
Rufus Wainwright (and Bill Shakespeare) - Sonnet 43 
Ian McNabb - German Soldier's Helmet Circa 1943
Skint & Demoralised - 43 Degrees
(That last one is this week's runner-up - well worth a click.)

However, as I stated at the end of last week's post, there really was only one obvious winner for me this week, and Jim in Dubai was the one to correctly identify it... definitely my favourite song by this band.



Lovely stuff.

Next week... the answer to life, the universe and everything. What might that be?


7 comments:

  1. Well, lyrically I immediately think of Rosie, she's a big girl...
    So, AC/DC and Whole Lotta Rosie:
    '42-39-56'

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Swede making stuff up; surely not? I bet he's got 'Three and a Half Dozen' in his vinyl collection from that barnstorming debut album by Perfidious Albion on Speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Level 42 with Love Games is a one I remember well from decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Undercover of the Night by The Rolling Stones opens with "Hear the screams from Center 42
    Loud enough to bust your brains out..."

    ...and "I Will Rock and Roll With You" by Johnny Cash closes with:
    "But I love you and though I'm past 42
    There are still a few things yet I didn't do
    And baby I will rock and roll with you
    If I have to."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don McLean - Sister Fatima

    The spirit of Fatima still rules the Earth
    She knows your future, she knows what it's worth
    Sister Fatima has God given powers
    And on 42nd Street a shop that sells flowers
    Is her palace come and be healed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim Groce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim

    Uptown got it's hustlers
    The bowery got it's bums
    42nd street got big Jim walker
    He's a pool shootin' son of a gun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I know it's not going to be your pick, but the song 42nd Street has been around for nearly ninety years and was written by Harry Warren, who has been mentioned often over at my place as he certainly was prolific, and wrote many of the songs covered by other artists over the decades (I Only Have Eyes For You a favourite of mine). Also the Ruby Keeler story is one that never goes away, it just gets updated for a new generation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...