Tuesday 14 November 2017

My Top Ten Kitten Songs


This is Millie, the new addition to our family. Too soon? I did think so... but I've been proved wrong. A welcome blast of sunshine and fun in these darkest of times...

The big problem with songs about kittens is that they're rarely actually about kittens. Kitten, is seems, is a popular metaphorical term of endearment, and just about the only song on this list which appears to be about an actual kitten is about a dead one. So I'm not dedicating any of these to Millie. Ten great songs, nevertheless...


10. Bellowhead - Moon Kittens

Bellowhead go John Williams. Better than that might sound.

9. Whitesnake - Kitten's Got Claws

The thing about Whitesnake was, around about the time this came out, they were showing their kitten side more than their claws. Power ballads had taken them into the charts and their metal beginnings were all but forgotten. This was them showing they still had their claws. You won't like it, it ain't cool, but it did the job for teenage rock fans back in the mid 80s.

Can you believe this is the first time Whitesnake have featured on this blog? I can't.

8. The Kelley Deal 6000 - When He Calls Me Kitten

What Kelley did when she got out of rehab.

7. Lily Rae & The Saturday Girls - Little Kittens

Dark and creepy - Nick Cave would be proud. From Lily's debut record, available on The Indelicates' Corporate Records label. Since then she's gone on to form the band Fightmilk: also worthy of your attention.

Don't forget that little kittens have the sharpest claws!

6. Hefner - Hello Kitten

Another song about...
I'm gonna make myself go blind tonight
...well, not kittens.

5. British Sea Power - Electrical Kittens

I've featured this here before, but no reason not to do so again. My favourite song from the latest BSP album.

4. REM - Star Me, Kitten

I guess that should be **** Me, Kitten... or @%$# Me, Kitten. It's one of those songs that sounds beautiful, but if you study the lyrics you'll choke on the metaphors. Of course, you could also scare yourself half to death with the REM & William S. Burroughs version...

3. Riff Raff - Kitten

Billy Bragg and Wiggy, back when they were still in short pants.

2. Angelica - Why Did You Let My Kitten Die?

Forgotten noughties indie from half of The Lovely Eggs. Indie-girly-pop loveliness with a sting in the tail.

1. Little Willie John - Leave My Kitten Alone

"Laying in the back seat, listening to Little Willie John..."

Yes, it was Elvis Costello who introduced this song to me... but it was Robbie Robertson who introduced me to Little Willie. And the original has added meows!



Any cuddly kitten songs in your collection?

12 comments:

  1. The Fabs had a good bash through 'Leave My Kitten Alone' as well. The only others I can offer are 'Sweet Little Kitten' by Husky Rescue and 'Our Kitten Sees Ghosts' by Califone.
    I'm still reeling from Whitesnake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're not. You're just acting shocked in case anyone sees you hanging round with me and laughs at you.

      Story of my life...

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh, Millie, you absolute cutie. I'm feeling a bit 'broody' (?) re. kittens at the moment, especially having just unintentionally caught a little bit of that new Jo Brand programme tonight (saw the cat get saved from a chimney and the kitten with two broken legs) - and knowing that my secret affair with the neighbour's cat is going to be ending soon too. I sort of want to have a cat again, but there are just too many reasons why I couldn't, so a little bit of cat envy going on here.

    Will come back to listen to the list fully but in the meantime if the word 'kittin' also counts then how about the rather dark but strangely charming: Golden Boy & Miss Kittin's 'Rippin Kittin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTYJZtnUuF0.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will allow you to visit Millie occasionally through the web, C.

      As for Miss Kittin... the jury is still out.

      Delete
  3. A girl group-related song here, Rol - "Love Kitten" by Noreen Corcoran:

    https://app.box.com/s/0kl0nf5kkye165pbnnic1az8yhrw2un9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's more my cup of tea - very Spector-esque. Thanks, Marie.

      Delete
  4. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - kittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly this is what this blog has been missing.

      Delete
  5. What, nothing from Atomic Kitten? I did enjoy that No. 1 but that lady in the clip needs to get some cosy jammies or she'll catch her death as my mum used to say!

    Millie is indeed very cute - Enjoy her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should have at least given the Atomic Kitten ladies an honorable mention... sadly my record collection has nevere given them a home.

      Delete
  6. Happy for your family, Rol. After much consideration, I can do no better with kitten songs. Too bad as I really wanted to replace Whitesnake. Ha! A special salute to Marie on her inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two Kittens Don't Make A Puppy by Lambchop - its one of most ambient and strange pieces of music I have on the laptop.

    Oh and your Millie looks like a small vertion of our Hollie.

    JC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...