Friday 23 February 2018

Yesterday's Next Big Things #1: Spector




Because one can never have too many sporadic series that fizzle out and then crop up again when you least expect them, I present: Yesterday's Next Big Things. Bands that those-in-the-know tipped to be huge... who then promptly fizzled away into nothing. Because, as Elvis sang...

You better speak up now, it won't mean a thing later
Yesterday's news is tomorrow's fish and chip paper

I thought I'd start with Spector, a band with the dubious rock 'n' roll chops to name themselves after a musical genius... and murdering psychopath. Well, it's one better than Mansun.

Back in 2012, the Grauniad described Spector as "somewhere between Roxy Music and the Strokes, The Killers and Kanye West, Pulp and Frank Sinatra". Come on, muso-critics: why not chuck Jesus Christ, Buddah and Shirley Bassey in there while you're at it?

I quite liked the band's first album, although they doomed themselves by calling it 'Enjoy It While It Lasts', because after "storming" into the UK album chart at Number 11, they promptly disappeared into semi-obscurity. The follow-up arrived with little fanfare in 2015... so little fanfare that writing this post is the first I'd heard of it. They're still in the go, apparently, but so far have yet to scratch their way into the pop consciousness the way the artists mentioned above did. Still, I like to think there's still time.

Anyway, because it'd Friday... have this. Don't listen too closely to the lyrics... they might also be seen as prophesying a fast fade out.





4 comments:

  1. Forgot about them.
    I must fish that album out and have another listen.
    I nominated it as an album of the year in 2012 - - not sure I've listened to it since then.
    The Vaccines plough a similar furrow - difference is they're still knocking about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Vaccines to be a bit of a one trick pony after their first album...but sometimes one trick is all you need. Maybe this lot were a bit too clever.

      Delete
  2. Yesterday's Next Big Things... love this name and idea for a series. Hope this one sticks around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my record collection will be full of them (as, I'm sure, will be yours), but I can only think of one more obvious one at the moment. After that, it'll be as & when I remember them.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...