Tuesday 13 August 2024

Namesakes #98: The Soul Seekers


George is back to save all our souls!

And I start with an apology: I have not been able to find a song from the above, though it looks to be a fantastic album.

The obvious follow-up to my piece on The Seekers is, of course, The New Seekers. But there’s only one band with that name, although I’m sure they alone are worthy of someone writing an appreciation of them. But I did, on my trawls, discover many bands called The Soul Seekers. 

I have a strong feeling that the vast majority will be gospel/religious or soul acts (northern or southern). We shall see. I also think that all of the tracks I find will be very good. Which makes a change, because, Man Alive, have I listened to a right load of old bobbins that has been posted in this series. And not just by me! I am forced to listen to every track Rol (or I) posts here. But I do. Too much time on my hands.

THE SOUL SEEKERS #1

First, a soul song from Norfolk (Virginia, not England).


THE SOUL SEEKERS #2

This version of Soul Seekers, from Texas, are a psychedelic/garage band, this song would fit nicely into one of those Nuggets-type compilations.


THE SOUL SEEKERS #3


Next, a gospel group from New Orleans, formed in 1939 as The Famous Original Soul Seekers Spiritual Singers of New Orleans. This track dates from 1969 but has that 1950's gospel sound. 


Now that is a great song.

THE SOUL SEEKERS #4

And what about this belter from a band about whom I have no information at all?


That’s on Peacock Records, who also host an amazing number of toptastic gospel, blues, rhythm-and-blues singers. And that tune is possibly better than the previous one.

So far, not a bad tune amongst those 4, and that last one is the absolute bifters.

I can’t find a track by the Australian group of Soul Seekers. But if you shell out 35 Australian dollars, and about the same again for postage for their one and only album “Funky Soul Is Sweet Sensation”, let me know.

THE SOUL SEEKERS #5


The next group of seekers of soul feature a son of Soul Seekers #3.


A more modern group. I tend to ignore modern gospel, too much of that woo-wooooooooo Whitney-vocal, too much massive choir clapping and cheering. That song, though, is well worth a repeated listen

THE SOUL SEEKERS #6

Next up, some 1970's gospel, possibly from Nashville (Tennessee).


They also do a song called Rock Of Ages. It’s pants, and probably not the Rock Of Ages with which you are familiar (is that correct grammar, Rol? I’m trying not to finish a sentence with a preposition).

The English language is malleable and fluid, George. I don't believe in prescriptive grammar.

THE SOUL SEEKERS #7

Our next group of Soul Seekers have a request:


Would that be classified as Northern soul?

THE SOUL SEEKERS #8


I’ve a plethora of gospel albums but not one is from an English gospel group. So here’s a first for me, and yet again it’s a belting song.


I cannot find This Little Light of Mine by the Jamaican Soul Seekers but I did find it sung by The Seekers!

And alas you will have to fork out $37 US dollars plus $35 postage if you want to hear the delights, or otherwise, of the band from Decatur, Alabama. That copy is in mint condition. Their other album is even more expensive.

THE SOUL SEEKERS #9

From Anaheim (California), some very earnest and at times tuneful Soul Seekers who shake a mean tambourine...


THE SOUL SEEKERS #10

From Duluth, here’s a cover of a John Lee Hooker song. An easy listening version. I am not joking.


(That is excellent!)

THE SOUL SEEKERS #11

Country-bluegrass soul seeking now!


THE SOUL SEEKERS #12

From Norway, and you’ve got to see this video, it’s hilarious. I think the video poster recorded the song on his phone, you can see his reflection!


THE SOUL SEEKERS #13


More 1970's gospel, from Toledo, and I suspect not the one in Spain.


Another cracking tune. 

THE SOUL SEEKERS #14

And finally, from Florida, more 1970's gospel...


With the obvious exception, today’s songs make a great compilation album. Yes, since you ask, I’ve already done it.

I’ve omitted Soul Seekerz, not because of their music, but for the simple reason that they can’t spell properly.

(That never stops me, George!)


And again, many thanks to Rol for hosting my posting. I hope a reader or two enjoys a track or two. There’s 14 songs above, so take your time, listen to them all, and see if it is possible to pick out a favourite.

I don’t know if it’s allowed but I’ll try: Here are two more tracks by #3, two absolute belters:



Enjoy the music.

Thanks, as always, George. A fine selection of tunes today.


2 comments:

  1. #6 for me please. #2, 3 and 4 also good. Video for #1 appears to be unavailable as the YouTube account associated with it no longer exists - presumably they got tired of being bombarded by comments from George.

    Fun fact about #8. The lead singer Tony Mossop subsequently changed his stage name to Tony Tribe and released the first reggae version of 'Red Red Wine', for which he has presumably gone to Hell:

    https://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/products/SoulSeekers/Across_The_BridgeWhere_Could_I_Go/49848/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to vote for #10 just because we're absent a contrarian in this week's comment box.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...