Monday 30 July 2012

My Top Ten Running Songs (Volume 1)


Still on an Olympics theme...

...but there were far too many good running songs, so look out for volume 2 to follow shortly.

10. Todd Snider - Beer Run

One medal we could all go for. (And I don't even drink.)

9. Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run

Say what you like about Paul McCartney...

Like, for example, if you want to say "that bit at the end of the Olympics opening ceremony where they wheeled him on to sing 'Hey Jude' for the four millionth time was like that bit at the end of a wedding where the embarrassing grandad gets up to sing tuneless karaoke"...

No, really, it's a free country. We're all entitled to our opinions. I won't be offended.

8. Moby - Run On

I like the episode of How I Met Your Mother with the Moby lookalike. I'm mad at the episode of How I Met Your Mother that stole a joke I'd written for Too Much Sex & Violence #6 and forced me to rewrite the bugger.

7. Carly Simon - Let The River Run

Forget Working Girl, forget the car advert, just enjoy this for what it is.

Or marvel at how eerily Carly resembles her old beau Mick Jagger in the video...

6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Run Through The Jungle

Do you find them much, these stolen cars?


Sometimes. Wouldn't hold out much hope for the tape deck though.


Or the Creedence.

5. Paul Simon - Can't Run But

4. Dion - Runaround Sue

Here's my story, it's sad but true...

Memorably used in the best episode of Moonlighting ever (and therefore one of the best episodes of Any TV Show Ever), the unforgettable Blonde On Blonde.

3. Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

Peerless, of course. Although the Kate / Pet Shop Boys / Placebo mash-up Love Comes Running Up That Hill Quickly is worth a listen too.

2. Jarvis Cocker - Running The World

This week's "not for the easily offended" track. Otherwise: essential.

1. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

I'll love you with all the madness in my soul...



More running songs to follow... can you guess what'll be included?


10 comments:

  1. 'City of Refuge' by Nick Cave ('You better run...')? Or, dare I say it, 'Running Free' by Iron Maiden (you'll be pleased to know that my brief mid-life crisis is coming to an end, and that I am back to playing stuff other than heavy metal again now, so I might start suggesting songs that aren't by Iron Maiden soon)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I just both won and lost a bet. I knew you'd suggest Maiden, but my money was on 'Run For The Hills'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan Adams - Run To You?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about suggesting 'Run to the Hills' but a) It seemed too obvious, b) I don't really like it, and c) I am getting a bit embarrassed about suggesting Iron Maiden songs all the time, so I figured one Maiden song per list would be more than enough. I will try my best not to mention them for a bit, even if you put together a list of 'beast' songs! P.S. What about 'Running Scared'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And then of course there's 'Run' by Snow Patrol / Leona Lewis, and perhaps something by Run DMC? That's probably me done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have quit while you were ahead. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Songs, not artists. That's the rule until I break it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...