Monday 19 November 2012

My Top Ten Star Wars Songs


With the news that George Lucas has sold Star Wars to Disney, there's a whole new trilogy to look forward (?) to in a few years time... we can but hope they'll be better than the last three.

Still, here's 10 songs you might hear covered by the Cantina band... but be warned, most of these are pretty damned obscure.


10. Ringo Deathstarr - Kaleidoscope

Points for the band name at least. It was this or Hoth-house flowers...

9. Weird Al Yankovich - Yoda

Weird Al parodies The Kinks. Mildly amusing the first time you hear it.

8. Frigid Vinegar - Dogmonaut 2000 (Is There Anyone Out There?)

Obscure 90s indie that samples the trumpets from It's Not Unusual and begins thus...

I knew this kid named Freddie Skywalker, 
A YTS Jedi with his own flying saucer...

7. Fight Like Apes - Lightsabre Cock Sucking Blues

Not advisable under any circumstances.

6. Blink 182 - A New Hope

And of course I'd do anything for her
I'd search the moons of Endor
I'd even walk naked through
The deserts of Tatooine

Princess Leia, where are you tonight?

And who's laying there by your side?

5. Ash - Lose Control

The opening track on their debut release begins with the sound effect of a Tie Fighter. The album is called 1977... the year Star Wars was released and Ash were born.

4. The Real Thing - Can You Feel The Force?

Good old disco: never shy to jump on a bandwagon. The Real Thing had three great singles. This was the third, and least. But I'll let them have a pass because the other two were stone cold classics.

3. The Supernaturals - Star Wars

Sadly unavailable anywhere online, this obscure Supernaturals b-side (from their excellent single I Wasn't Built To Get Up) tells of a young man forced to choose between Star Wars and his girlfriend. Turns out it's no competition...

2. Neon Neon - I Told Her On Alderaan

AKA Gruff Rhys of the Super Furry Animals plus some bloke called Boom Bip. Obviously he let R2D2 choose that name for him.

1. Bellatrix - Jedi Wannabe

Bellatrix is a star in the Orion constellation. They were also a turn-of-the-millennium Icelandic indie band... and this was their finest 3 minutes.




Sometimes I set myself these Top Tens as a challenge. Could you do any better?







9 comments:

  1. Excellent...must have been a challenge. I want to include Telstar by the Tornados on the basis that the Telstar looks like the Deathstar...maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenuous, but it's such a great track, I'll allow it.

      Delete
  2. Chewbacca off the clerks soundtrack is my choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn - how did I forget that? I knew there was a Chewie song out there...

      Delete
  3. Well, all I can say is that I must be the only living person over the age of 21 in the western world who has never (yes never) seen a Star Wars movie.
    (Nor ET, Independence Day, Men In Black, Lord Of The Rings or any Harry Potter).
    This may make me culturally bankrupt. More importantly however, it means that I cannot follow my loyal habit of supplying an input for the now (Kirklees & Calderdale-Famous) Top Ten. For which I feel strangely bereft.

    I could of course come up with a few dreadful song puns based on my limited knowledge of the film. Crap such as: You Keep Me Alderaan, Prowse Of The Rising Sun, She Taught Me To Yoda (one for the Jim Reeves fans out there), Never Mind The Bollux, Lucas In The Skywalker With Dooku ... but that would be dreadful, so I won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've not missed THAT much with most of those. As for the original SW trilogy, you had to be a certain age.

      That said, thank you for not making any dreadful puns like the ones you didn't suggest. You spared us all.

      Delete
  4. I'm still reeling from your opening sentence. But the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I sometimes think Disney were involved right from the start anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, Steve, have you had your head in a bucket the last 2 weeks or something?

      Delete
    2. Only because I ripped a hole in the paper bag.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...