Friday 28 April 2017

My Top Ten 6am Songs


 


Four days a week, I get up at six a.m.

Yes, my life is just like Groundhog Day.

Here's ten other early risers...


10. The Lovin' Spoonful - Six O'Clock

John Sebastian finds 6 a.m. to be a very special time.

Nah. Can't say I'm with him on that. Cool oldie though.

9. George Michael - Spinning The Wheel

Listen, George has been stood outside your house since 5 a.m. and by the time 6 rolls around, he's royally pissed off that you're still not home. Great stalker anthem.

I remember the radio station I worked at (along with many others) insisted on playing the dancey remix of this when it was out. The slow, sultry original is far superior.

8. James Yorkston & The Athletes - 6.30 Is Way Too Early
6.30 is just way too early
To get up this cold December morning
Though as long as she insists on being the theme to my every single dream
That coffee it is a calling
That's a pretty great opening verse, and this song only gets better...

7. Belle & Sebastian - Come On, Sister

In which Stuart Murdoch gets woken up at 6 by roadworks outside his window. Oh well, he's up now, might as well start mooning over an old girlfriend...

See also Olympic Village, 6am, an instrumental B&S recorded to accompany the Rio games. Not entirely sure why.

6. Stornoway - The End of the Movie

Gorgeous...
Six a.m. you left me for the last time
On my doorstep blinking in the sunshine
Blamed and framed I'm frozen in the picture
Hanging in the space you left inside me
Climbed upstairs into the final scene
Waiting for the credits to appear
For all the years that I've been starring
Starring in a film with you and leading
Leading with a star I knew but I'm waking up
In a lone beam of light where the dust is dancing
As the music fades

6. Tom Waits - Ol' 55

Tom Waits for no man, not even at 6 a.m. (No, I will never grow tired of that pun.)
And it's six in the morning, gave me no warning; I had to be on my way.
Well there's trucks all a-passing me, and the lights are all flashing,
I'm on my way home from your place.
I know I won't make many friends by saying this, but I love the Eagles version almost as much as I do Tom's.


5. Eels - Saturday Morning

The excitement of being a small boy, getting up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning with a long, long day ahead... but who's gonna play with me?

4. The Bangles - Manic Monday

Prince. Susannah Hoffs. If you don't love this, check your pulse.
Six o'clock already
I was just in the middle of a dream
I was kissin' Valentino
By a crystal blue Italian stream
But I can't be late
'Cause then I guess I just won't get paid
These are the days
When you wish your bed was already made
3. Ben Folds - Brick

The saddest song Ben Folds ever wrote begins at 6 a.m. on the day after Christmas. 

2. The Jam - That's Entertainment
Waking up at six a.m. on a cool warm morning
Opening the windows and breathing in petrol
An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
Watching the telly and thinking about your holidays
The Jam were really rather good, weren't they?

1. The Monkees - Daydream Believer
"7A"

"What number is this, Chip?"

"7-A!!!"

"OK!, know what I mean, like, don’t get excited man. It’s cause I’m short, I know."
Davy Jones dreams of the 6 o'clock alarm never ringing... but it does, and when he finally rises, his shaving razor's cold... and it stings.

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean!



Which 6 a.m. song would get you out of bed?


13 comments:

  1. Can't argue with those top two - peerless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another brilliantly eclectic selection on a subject I know very little about these days (although did spend a few years getting up at 6am every weekday for the commute to work so do sympathise!)
    As I love a bit of Frenchness, especially 1960s Frenchness, I would also recommend Jacqueline Taieb's '7 Heures Du Matin' (there's an English language version too):
    "It's seven in the morning
    I've got to get up
    But let's put some music on
    It'll get me going..."

    She even mentions having an English exam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthTxqRGa48

      Delete
    2. That will now be included in My Top Ten 7am Songs. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Love that Daydream Believer is at No.1

    And, really liked how they left in Davy Jones' confusion with the running order. He was my very first crush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird thing is, I always thought Micky Dolenz was the short one. The internet tells me he was 22cm taller than Davy though!

      Delete
  4. What, no room for dear old Ringo? It was written by Macca y'know!

    'Six o'clock in the morning, you've just gone to sleep,
    I wipe a tear from my eye.
    It can't be the kind of company i keep,
    That keeps me askin', you keep me askin',
    You keep me wond'rin' why.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say I've never heard that before.

      Macca will get his turn in the Top Ten 5am Songs though.

      Delete
  5. Stellar work. Maybe my favorite list yet in terms of both content and songs. I'm a 6am waker on weekdays. Not so bad this time of year because there is light but those cold dark winter mornings are brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Brian. Getting up in the pitch black should not be allowed.

      Delete
  6. If I was asked to name my favourite Monkees song, it would have to be 'Daydream Believer', a song that I genuinely like. When the group came to Toronto in the '60s, I was rather disdainful of the hype around their visit. My two closest friends, however, dragged me down to their hotel (the King Edward, I believe, where the Beatles had also stayed.)

    For some reason, your post has reminded me of this and of how mortified I was when they joined in with the screaming throng gathered outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad when one of these posts stirs up happy (or even slightly embarrassing) memories!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...