Monday 4 November 2019

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #38: Tests


So it's been a tough few months. Moving house really took it out of me this time, and when I started back at work in late August, the bosses threw a load of stressful crap at me, forced a change on my working hours (which I've had for 8 years), and half my colleagues either quit for other jobs or went off on the sick.

Then, during a routine appointment to sign up at a new GP's, they found blood in my urine. Teeny tiny traces - 8 blood cells! - but apparently that's enough to fast-track you for a barrage of pretty serious tests. And I received one of the above leaflets in the post, something that nobody ever wants to receive.

Over the course of the last fortnight then, I've had a prostate & testicle exam (probably overdue), an ultrasound of my kidneys and urinary tract, and... best of all... an endoscopy.

"I thought an endoscopy was where they shoved a tube down your throat," a mate of mine said.

It wasn't down my throat.

"Up your bum?"

Nor up my bum.

"Well, where else are they gonna... oh."

Apparently the NHS will now happily stick a camera up any hole on your body, so why go for a big, boring hole like your mouth or bum when they can stick a camera up the smallest hole in male anatomy? The highlight is when the camera pushes through the sphincter that separates your pee pipe from your bladder (the thing that stops you weeing yourself). After that, they pump water up the tube to fill your bladder because it photographs better when it's full. All this while the doctor is telling you it'd be far less uncomfortable if you just relaxed.

"I bet you'd rather be at work right now," said the nurse.

If only she knew...

Sitting around in the recovery room, they gave out a questionnaire, the main question being "How likely would you be to recommend this department to family and friends?"

"You're doing a brilliant job," said one of the other guys in the room, "but... recommend this? I think I might have to say no."

The NHS is an amazing thing, and why anyone in their right mind would want to see it dismantled or sold off to the Americans, I cannot comprehend... unless there's a sizeable chunk of money in it for the ne'er-do-wells who want to see it happen, perchance?

Eight bloods cells led to a swift referral, in which time I've been checked for prostate cancer (no sign), testicular cancer (no sign) and bladder cancer (no sign). And my kidneys looked OK too. 

"Blood in the urine is pretty common and the majority of times it goes undiagnosed," said the consultant. But they still wanted to get me checked out. And every appointment I've had was not just on time, but ahead of time. What a marvellous organisation. 

So, fingers crossed, nothing to report. A few sleepless nights and a little perspective on the bigger picture. I'll see if I can get back to semi-regular blogging soon.



14 comments:

  1. Blimey, Rol... very glad nothing unpleasant has been found, and that all seems well.

    Got to love the NHS, truly a marvel. And just think how wonderful it would be if the government would actually fund it properly....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Rol and good to get an MOT
    The NHS is the jewel in the British crown.
    Just a pity then that the current government are intent on dismanteling it with a view to the likes of Branson and Trump making a quick buck

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very good that Nothing has been found you have to worry About much. Stay well, Rol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're ok. Some of that made for uncomfortable reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sorry. It was cathartic so share the pain.

      Delete
  5. So very glad to hear all okay - and can totally understand your sleepless nights leading up to this. Agree of course with everything you say about the NHS too.
    As for the actual physical test, I don't have the same anatomy and yet somehow still I feel your pain... aargh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Rol, what a time you've been having but so glad you've been given the all-clear. The NHS is indeed the jewel in the crown and everything must be done to preserve it.

    As for your college job, my other half had the same happen to him over the last year at his college. He only started work there in his 50s (first foray into paid employment after self-employment) but he loved it and loved helping the kids. A change in management/direction resulted in 7 of his 9 colleagues either leaving or going off sick. Hang on in there, turn up and take the pay cheque, but don't let the b*****ds get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I hadn't been squirming so much from the intricate details contained herein, I would have jumped to my feet to applaud the NHS by the end of your post. So glad everything appears to be ok Rol - stay well. I hope your work woes even themselves out too. That much stress ain't good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to jump to your feet when you've got your legs crossed.

      Delete
  8. Be well, my friend. Believe it or not (and why would I make it up?), I can empathize about that tube in a place where it doesn't belong. Stick with the NHS. You and your family would be eating mac and cheese for months after you got the bill for all of those tests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello mate. Sounds like we're in a similar place - well Little Jez certainly knows where you're coming from anyway. I'm still waiting for the pleasure of having a camera popped where the sun don't shine (according to one consultant "it's the only place we haven't been with you yet.")

    Very glad to hear all seems to be ok with you though, obvs. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jez. Just lie back and thing of England like I did...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...