Tuesday 12 November 2019

Hot 100 #32


Apologies. I got two thirds of the way through this countdown before life got in the way. But I don't like leaving things unfinished, so the Hot 100 is back... maybe not every week, but whenever I get the time. Your suggestions, as always, are very welcome.

Wretch 32, pictured above, is a popular grime star, apparently. We used to have grime round these parts, then we got a new window cleaner.

Way back in July, George wondered whether the unsavoury lyrics in this oldie might make it unpalatable...

Robert Johnson - 32:20 Blues 

Far be it from me to let unsavoury lyrics spoil the day. And Lynchie seemed similarly undeterred, suggesting the Cowboys Junkies version...

The Cowboy Junkies - 32:20 Blues

And here's the Charlatans with the same song... but not The Charlatans you and I know, the Manc band fronted by Tim Burgess, no, this is the original Charlatans...

The Charlatans - 32:20 Blues

Speaking of 32 calibre weapons, Douglas came close to taking the title this week by suggesting one of my all-time favourites...

Jim Croce - Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

He got a custom Continental
He got an Eldorado too
He got a thirty two gun in his pocket for fun
He got a razor in his shoe

C went a different lyrical route, with this one from a band I only knew in passing. Some great guitar to be hear here though.

The Au Pairs - Armagh

You can ignore the 32
There are 32 women in Armagh jail
political prisoners here at home
the British state's got nothing to lose
It's a subject better left alone

The Swede was up next, with one that had made my shortlist

The House of Love - 32nd Floor

Alyson, meanwhile, dug up this rarity, ten streets away from fame...

Ronnie Lane - 32nd Street

While Martin was bang up to date with a tune from the latest Joe Jackson album, which I've not heard... but I might have to investigate further.

Joe Jackson - 32 Kisses

For a laugh, Martin also suggested this oldie-but-mouldie...

Mr. Mister - 32

And that was it for your suggestions. But what did my record collection throw up? Let's see if we can go even lower than Mr. Mister to start with, and climb up from there, shall we?

Genesis - The Chamber of 32 Doors

I do like Peter Gabriel, but... you have to draw the line somewhere.

What else?

Craic Haus - 32 Girls

No idea where that came from, but it's better than The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

The Mekons - 32 Weeks

That made me smile.

Ani DiFranco - 32 Flavors

I like that. From a CD I bought in a charity shop. Back when I could still find decent CDs in charity shops.

Van Morrison - Thirty Two

Not really a song, more a warm-up.

Finally, an obscure b-side...

REM - 32 Chord Song

But this week's winner was chosen by Rigid Digit, who found another old favourite of mine...



Coming soon: 31. I promise.


5 comments:

  1. Good to see this back particularly as I have a suggestion for 31
    Aimee Mann -31 Today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back the songs with numbers thing!

    To celebrate, I'd like to offer up "Sin City" written by Gram Parsons and performed by The Flying Burrito Brothers on the fab album "The Gilded Palace Of Sin". The chorus is:
    "This old earthquake's gonna leave me in the poor house
    It seems like this whole town's insane
    On the 31st floor a gold plated door
    Won't keep out the Lord's burning rain"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see the return of the Hot 100, yes!
    I can offer one song lyric with 31 in, from The Universal Soldier by Buffy Sainte Marie, also covered by Donovan and (I just found) more recently by First Aid Kit. A song with a theme that sadly never goes out of date.
    He's five-foot-two and he's six-feet-four
    He fights with missiles and with spears
    He's all of thirty-one and he's only seventeen
    He's been a soldier for a thousand years

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to the 100 - time for some more spurious suggestions. Thanks for giving back the opportunity for a dose of musical tourettes

    Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - Death Cab For Cutie
    Bad girl Cutie, what have you done
    -Baby don't do it
    Slipping sliding down Highway 31
    -Baby don't do it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too offer my welcome back and give my heartfelt thanks for bringing this series back to life. I have, after all, been waiting months with baited breath to see if my Leroy Brown suggestion might finally have meant a first place finish! Missed by that much, once again.

    A few great suggestions above that I would have made, and I am guessing Universal Soldier makes a strong finish. I would also have suggested Sin City, but in the spirit of offering something new and in keeping with the spirit of the musicians that seem to bring a winning touch round these parts, I will suggest the version by Billy Bragg, on the Talking With The Taxman About Poetry album.

    As for unique and new suggestions, how about The Cure's "So What?", from Three Imaginary Boys. It is a strange song, wherein Robert Smith, in the midst of a heartache breakup song, seems to be trying to sell us a cake decorating set. Not sure if that is a metaphor for something that eludes me, but in any case, the offer seems to be time-sensitive:
    "Order now
    Allow twenty one days
    For delivery
    This offer closes
    31st December 1979"

    Seems I missed my chance to get me one of them sets by close to 40 years.

    And if that is too festive for you, perhaps a dead dog offered up by Mr Bruce Springsteen is more your fancy, in "Reason To Believe" off the delightful Nebraska album:
    "Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
    He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
    Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on Highway 31
    Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run
    Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me"

    Yes, very funny indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...