Monday 8 February 2021

Cover Me Monday #15: Here We Go Again...


Here's a cover I unearthed on an old mixtape CD I found kicking around. I didn't know anything about the artist, so I suspect this originated as a blog download somewhere in the dim and distant past.

The song is Here I Go Again, originally a Top Ten hit from my teenage years. I'm pretty sure I bought the 7 inch, and I have no shame over that. It's the ultimate poodle rock anthem, and David Coverdale's hairdo is easily as impressive in the video as the girl dancing on the car. It also has a killer riff and a lyric about being a lonely outsider which appealed to my 15 year old self... and still does, if I'm honest.



Twenty-some years later, the song was covered by Audra Mae, apparently for the soundtrack of The Good Wife, another show Louise watched but I never had time to (probably because I was blogging). 

As I said, I didn't know much about Audra Mae, but she appears to have had a pretty crazy career, having worked with The All-American Rejects, Avicii, Flo Rida, Frank Turner and Celine Dion, while she's written songs that have been covered by Miranda Lambert, German Eurovision entrants and Susan Boyle. 

I've not heard anything else she's done, but I have a fondness for her Whitesnake cover... especially as she keeps the killer riff.


6 comments:

  1. By any chance did you have a mullet hairstyle when you were younger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... but I'm getting one now (not through choice!)

      Delete
  2. It works so well I reckon it sounds as if it should have been the original and Whitesnake the cover...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audra Mae is the great-niece of Judy Garland so quite a lineage. I wrote about her after discovering her cover of Bob Dylan's Forever Young which was used in Sons Of Anarchy.

    https://jukeboxtimemachine.com/2019/10/05/great-telly-audra-mae-and-forever-young/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on iffypedia but forgot to mention it. Pleased to see you got there first, Alyson.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...