Monday 1 February 2021

Cover Me Monday #14 - Corrosive Lambchop


Cover Me Monday was a regular feature on this blog, pre-lockdown... and then the world fell apart, and so did most of my regular features. Late last week, I stumbled across a classic forgotten cover version that made me want to resurrect the feature... particularly as it had stopped at #13, and I'm a bit superstitious that way. What if I caused the world to fall apart, just by stopping this feature at #13? (I realise that's a rather egocentric view of the world, but I have limited contact with anyone else at the moment... I'm starting to wonder if you're all just figments of my imagination.)

Anyway: Lambchop covering The Sisters of Mercy. From the bonus disc of their 2002 album Is A Woman. I'm sorry, this record can not be almost 20 years old. Where has my life gone?

First, here's the original, because I adore it. (Though I'm betting a few of you don't.)

The Sisters of Mercy produced by Jim Steinman. Like trying to put out a fire by pouring petrol in it. According to Andrew Eldritch, "I called Steinman and explained that we needed something that sounded like a disco party run by the Borgias. And that’s what we got."



Strip away that "disco party run by the Borgias" though, and you're still left with a top song. As Kurt Wagner reveals here...




And while we're on the subject, I'd be remiss if I didn't post this. It's as different from the two tracks above as can possibly be, but together they make up three sides of one very interesting triangle.

They don't throw him a parade
He just comes in on a train
One suitcase in his hand
And an old army backpack
From the second world war
From a Leipzig secondhand store

Pick the keys up from the agent
Everything's been taken care of
No big changes in the roadways
Since you've left that I'm aware of
A few old buildings gone to dust
And some new ones in the way
They'll look just like the old ones
When the winds have had their say

I do take issue with the "No big changes in the roadways" line though, since back in the late 80s, early 90s, I found it pretty easy to get around Leeds in a car. The inner loop is a Kafka-esque nightmare now though.

3 comments:

  1. I'd never heard the Lambchop cover before... love it.
    Brilliant when you can get two totally different treatments of a song and both work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it me or do they look like five Geography teachers desperately trying to 'blend in'?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...