Wednesday 16 March 2022

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #74: Engine Fire


Driving home on Monday afternoon, I saw a car at the side of the motorway with its engine on fire. (The driver & passenger were a safe distance away and a van had stopped to help them.) 

I told Louise and Sam about this when I got home, and remarked that you don't often see engine fires these days; they were much more frequent when I was a kid. Sam asked why, and I told him I guess it's because cars are a lot safer nowadays than they were back in the 70s and 80s... and as I said it, I felt another pang of nostalgia for simpler times. I'm not saying I want to see more burning cars, although in a way, I am. 

Three days and counting...

Yesterday when I was young
So many happy songs were waiting to be sung
So many wild pleasures lay in store for me
And so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to see
I ran so fast that time and youth at last ran out
I never stopped to think what life was all about
And every conversation I can now recall
Concerned itself with me and nothing else at all



7 comments:

  1. I wish there was a way to read tone in a comment. FBCG's question could be taken more than one way... especially considering a nearly 50-year-old man is calling for more burning cars. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep hanging out with us and you will always feel young, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...