Tuesday 8 March 2022

Record Collection Recollections #2: Full Circle


When I first started buying records in the mid-80s, there weren't many places to buy them. Not in Huddersfield, at least. Our Price hadn't opened yet (although it soon would), which left me with Woolworths and Woods Music Shop. There may have been other places to feed my newfound habit, but these were the only ones I knew about, and to be honest, I only knew about Woods because that was where I went to buy music for my piano lessons or valve cleaning products for my tenor horn. I remember they had a small selection of contemporary albums alongside a much larger choice of Classical. But for most of my early purchases, Woolworths was it. 

I mention this because after many years of being spoilt for choice in terms of where I buy my records, it feels like the actually physical marketplace has shrunk back to where it began. In Huddersfield now, there's Vinyl Tap, a pretty well established independent record shop (of which, more later) and HMV, a shadow of its former self, more concerned with selling T-shirts or those pop culture models with the big heads, than actual music. And the charity shops, of course, if you want some Robbie Williams or Daniel O'Donnell.

I miss Woolies.

Here's a track from one of the first albums I bought, on cassette, from Woods Music Shop. Not as contemporary as it might have been, but I've always spent more money on older records than new. 



8 comments:

  1. Woolies. I bought Killer Queen from my local Woolworths. And an album by the Sweet (Sweet FA) on cassette. Not at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Anarchy in the UK in the ex-chart single section at Ipswich Woolworths in early 1977. Now I come to think about it, I'm impressed that they even stocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was mainly Woolworths when I moved north (as Record Rendezview only sold Scottish music - and not by cool Scottish bands), but my earliest singles and albums were all bought from Boots the Chemist's record department in Aberdeen. It was the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes... I'd forgotten that Boots sold records too. Not sure I ever bought any in there.

      Come to think of it, did WH Smith sell them too?

      Delete
    2. Our local WH Smith definitely had a big record dept. but it gradually became taken over by VHS/DVD films - Long gone now of course.

      Delete
  4. I was spoilt - not only did we have Woolies, we also had Boots, WH Smith, a couple of independent stores, a Newsagent (that din't sell much News - mostly records and sundry tat)and a well stocked second hand emporium.
    Woolworth went through a refurbishment and cleared out it's warehouse - it basically pile everything up on the floor for you to trawl through. Marvellous shopping.
    When it closed closed, it was nowhere near as much fun (unless you were looking for multiple copies of Ultimate Driving Trucking AOR Hits That Dads Might Like"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would be looking for that.

      Delete
  5. Ah yes, Woollies - ours was very characterful as it had a long wooden floor which creaked and bounced when you walked on it, happy memories of pick'n'mix escapades. But we could also get records from Boots, as Alyson did, and Martins the newsagent, and in the dark dusty corner of an electrical shop, where they didn't seem to have a clue, and were clearly hoodwinked by passing reps to take some weird leftfield obscurities that they couldn't palm off to any of the more mainstream stockists. This, of course, wasn't always a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...