Wednesday 19 July 2023

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #98: The Gig I Did Not Attend


I had a ticket to see Jim Bob last Wednesday, and I've been looking forward to it for some time. I've done pretty well at getting back into live music over the past few months, and this would have been my fourth gig of the year... but it was problematic. Firstly it was a week night, towards the end of term, and in Leeds. Now, I work in Leeds, so getting there wasn't a problem... but getting home usually is. Still, I figured when I bought the ticket, it'd be quieter at night and I'd get home quicker...

On Wednesday, I finish work at 4.30. It's usually a nightmare getting home in time to pick Sam up from after school club before that closes at 6, but as that wasn't an issue, I stayed at work and did some online grocery shopping, then stopped off at the supermarket to pick up a sandwich and a few bits. I made it to the venue in plenty of time and sat in the car eating a reduced M&S Chicken caesar baton. And that's when the anxiety kicked in. I was already exhausted after a long school term, and the travel has really been getting to me this year. Jim Bob had sent out the showtimes via social media and I knew he wasn't on till 9, but I was eager to catch the support act, Lonely Tourist...


As time ticked on though, closer to the start of the gig, my anxiety grew. Even if I didn't stay till the end of Jim Bob's set at 10.45, I wouldn't be home till well after 11, post-gig high means I never get to sleep easily, and I knew I had to be up at 6.30 whatever. All around me, middle-aged men in faded Carter USM T-shirt were strolling happily up to the venue, smiling and chatting, and I just started to feel worse and worse. I'm too old for this shit. Who am I kidding? I'm not going to enjoy the show if I'm constantly worrying about getting home, getting to sleep, getting up again and driving the hour plus commute to work tomorrow morning...

Just before 8, as Lonely Tourist was about to hit the stage, I turned the key in the ignition and drove home. 

Jim Bob has made some of my favourite records of the past few years and his new album, Thanks For Reaching Out, is a cracker. I've never seen him live and he was definitely a name to tick off. Maybe next time he'll take pity on us soft, middle-aged northern Jessies and book a weekend slot...


6 comments:

  1. It is a very great record, and I'm sure it would be even better live.
    But ... I concur with your gig anxiety (it's not the going to gigs, it's the getting back and how does one fit the responsibilities of life in).
    I have restricted myself to Gigs in my home-town (cos I live on the main bus route) or those that are close by (~10 mile radius). Problem is, not many stop off in the Thames Valley (plenty of tribute bands though). And those that do are charging nigh-on £50 for a slightly rubbish venue.
    Haven't been into London for a gig for years - it's the getting home at 1 / 2 am that my body can no longer handle.
    Jim Bob is on my "to see" list too (I've seen Carter USM 3 times, but never Mr Bob solo), but unless he stops off in my local area, I'm unlikely to be ticking that box.
    Gigs in that London ... it's a young man's game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make matters somewhat worse, Jim Bob was all over social media the following day saying that it was the best gig he'd ever done.

      On the plus side, he also shared a photo of the merch table... which I'd probably have spent quite a lot of money on, and being as I have less than no money at the moment, that wouldn't have been for the best.

      Delete
  2. Or a rich man's game. I passed on seeing ABC at Glasgow' Royal Concert Hall as the cheapest tick was £48 with a restricted view.

    I haven't been to that many gigs this year either for one reason or another lethargy being one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to read all this, but I get it - worrying about all those things would have blighted the evening for you; it just wouldn't be worth putting yourself through it. The older I get the more aware I am of my personal limits and the more importance I place on avoiding unnecessary stress. Sometimes a bit of stress is worth it but it usually comes before an event! Whereas worrying about how I'd be travelling home, or coping with the long commute in the morning, is a different thing altogether. I look back at the things I used to do, even in my forties, and wonder who the hell that person was!
    I do hope you'll get to see him some time soon in far easier circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! Really sorry you had to abort mission. I do get it, no point going in if it's gonna stress you out. Hopefully you'll find coping mechanisms to get you thru this.

    I'll gladly take this off-line at any time or come over for a real coffee with you! You're among friends here. I hope you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, it's good to hear I'm not alone thinking / feeling in such things. John - appreciate the offer, but really, the comments above are enough to get me through. There are far more deserving causes out there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...