Tuesday 29 August 2023

Namesakes #48: The Proclaimers

Another week, another bunch of bands that share the same name, although this is one of those editions I consider a bit of an open and shut case. Still, it's good to check out the competition. As you might imagine with a name like "The Proclaimers", a certain amount of religious content is involved... but I tried to pick the ones that were worthy of consideration.


THE PROCLAIMERS #1

The Welsh Proclaimers! Excellent stuff from 1965... get on board The Gospel Train!


THE PROCLAIMERS #2

The Australian Proclaimers! Formed in 1966, they did more than 700 live shows over a 40 year career, originally led by Aussie opera singer Jonathan Summers...

THE PROCLAIMERS #3

The Californian Proclaimers! Their own release (as far as discogs is concerned), from 1984 on a Ministry Resource Centre compilation. Despite the title, it's less god-bothering than our earlier entries...


THE PROCLAIMERS #4

The obvious Proclaimers! It's those lads from Auchtermuchty again. 

Rather than the big hits, I chose a more recent favourite. Social commentary as well as great pop tunes!


Which Proclaimers would you stop to listen to in the street?

6 comments:

  1. #1 a christian welsh version of The Seekers? #2 did Andrew Lloyd Webber-Tim RIce write this for a discarded musical? #3 Reminded me of The Housemartins (not necessarily a good thing) #4 I'm glad this another of their terrible songs you've posted so I don't need to vote for it. It's #3 for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. No 3 for me, sounds quite jangly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the diversity of opinion this blog draws out. Makes me think I must be doing *something* right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely are ROL, great hearing obscure songs we would probably otherwise would never hear, some good, some bad but always interesting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...