Friday 13 April 2018

The Neverending Top Ten #2.1: Frank Friday


Back to the Neverending Top Ten of songs my son likes - chosen from the CDs I play him whenever we're out in the car. We're now at the stage where if he asks, "Can we hear that one again, Daddy?", you know we're onto a winner.


2.1 - Frank Sinatra - High Hopes

My love of old blue eyes was passed down from my own father, who grew up pre-rock 'n' roll and so his own musical tastes reflect that. I therefore feel it's my duty to pass that on to Sam... but once you've got beyond the glorious cheese of New York, New York, where do you go next with a 4 year old?

High Hopes seemed the obvious choice as it reads like a children's story - featuring an adamant ant who won't give up trying till he's lifted up a rubber tree plant and a resolute ram who keeps butting till he's knocked a hole in a dam. It also features a children's choir... wait, wait, come back!

On one of the many occasions I saw Lloyd Cole play live, I remember him mocking the production on a track from his back catalogue (I can't remember which off the top of my head - perhaps you can help jog my memory?) because it featured a children's choir. He said he wished he hadn't done that and suggested that perhaps one day he would put together a compilation of great pop songs that had been "ruined by an ill-advised kids' choir". I dunno, Lloyd... I don't think I agreed with you about that track of yours (is it from Love Story?) and I certainly don't agree when it comes to High Hopes.

"Can we hear that one again, Daddy?"

Go on, then...




9 comments:

  1. Great choice - My love of Frank also came from my dad whom I watched old movies with on telly as a youngster. Good to hear you are now passing his catalogue on to your son.

    Don't know about Lloyd's song but nothing wrong with a kid's choir - They have their place in popular music (as long as it's not St Winifred's with their Grandma song).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of your dad, hope he's recovered well from the op he had back at Christmastime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinatra reworked High Hopes as a campaign song for 1960 Presidential candidate JFK.

    I remember as a kid that the song was played a lot on (Uncle Mac's) Children's Favourites as a sort of "you can do anything if you work at it" kind of anthem.*

    *see also Roy Castle's "Dedication" from the BBC show Record Breakers. I loathed that song with a passion, but not High Hopes because, well, it was Frank Sinatra...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more forgiving with Roy: he was a local lad made good.

      Delete
  4. Hell, I remember you taking me to task for misquoting this song in a fanzine once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly,the first thing I think of when I hear High Hopes isn't Sinatra... it's Laverne and Shirley. I have always wanted to do a Saturday morning series (Sinatra on Saturday). Maybe this post is just the kick in the pants I need. I have a whole mess of Sinatra's records, especially during his heyday on Capitol. To this day still the live show that means the most to me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...