Wednesday 31 October 2012

My Top Ten Haunted Songs

Have a haunted Halloween on me...


10. Shirley Lee - The Haunted
So much sadness is not good for you...
From last year's excellent double album Winter Autumn Summer Spring, the Spearmint man scares away the spectres.

9. John Fogerty - Haunted House

For the man who gave us Bad Moon Rising, living in a haunted house is no big deal.

8. Seth Lakeman - I'll Haunt You

When Seth Lakeman goes off to sea, his woman promises to be faithful. When the Dear John letter arrives, he threatens a punishment most eerie...
I'll haunt you, haunt your bed
Tap the windows, you'll wake in dread
I pray that you love me instead
I'll haunt you, I'll haunt your bed
And I'll haunt you, sleep in fear!
Whisper secrets in your ear
A world away but I'll be near,
I'll haunt you.
7. Dodgy - Melodies Haunt You

Not the Dodgy song everybody remembers, but certainly less dodgy than many of their Britpop contemporaries.

6. Superman Revenge Squad - Yeah, This House Is Haunted

Can't go wrong with a bit of Superman Revenge Squad every now and then. Great lyrics, as always.

5. Saint Etienne - Haunted Jukebox

From the new Saint Etienne album, Words & Music, which is really quite lovely in places.

4. Pavement - Haunt You Down
 
Just a guess here, but Stephen Malkmus might be seeing ghosts because of something he's been smoking. Hardly a case for Scooby Doo or Peter Venkman. 

3. Haunted Love - Werewolf

A seriously spooky song from a New Zealand band named after an old Charlton horror comic. What's not to love?

2. Gene - Haunted By You
From the pub to the grave
I'll be haunted by you
Yes, you, you're in my way
Seems as good a place as any to mention the long-awaited solo album by Martin Rossiter... if you haven't ordered your copy yet, find out more about it here.

Gene almost won their second Number One here on My Top Ten... and then I remembered this...

1. Sinéad O'Connor & Shane MacGowan - Haunted

As everyone's favourite Christmas record proves, there's something irresistible about pairing the drunken bum vocals of Shane MacGowan with an angel. Kirsty will always be the most famous example of that... but Sinéad comes a close second. Just beautiful.
The first time I saw you 
Standing in the street 
You were so cool you could have 
Put out Vietnam




Those were the most haunting songs in my collection... but which one keeps you awake a night?






6 comments:

  1. Great list, as ever. I would probably have flipped the top two around, but you could have guessed that...

    Nice to see the forthcoming Rozza album getting a plug too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Specials - Ghost Town. Local band too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Steve, what have I told you about playing by the rules? You're such a rebel.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I have no idea. Perhaps blogger thinks you're trying to sell me cornflakes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...