Monday 15 July 2013

My Top Ten Summertime Songs

As Martin pointed out, my Top Ten Hot Summer Songs was quite an all-encompassing topic for me, hence why I was barely able to scrape the surface of all the great summer songs in my collection. Here then, in an effort to narrow the field, are ten great songs with "Summertime" in the title...


10. Girls - Summertime

I've told you before, if you're going to name your band "Girls", don't expect anybody to find you on google... even if you do get Jim Jarmusch to direct your video. (In Iceland. Hardly the most summery of locations, Jim.)

9. The Supernaturals - Summertime

From the final Supernaturals album, What We Did Last Summer; the one that, sadly, only I bought.

8. The Flaming Lips - It's Summertime

Wayne feels sad in the summertime. We all benefit from his misery.

7. Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness

Lana Del Rey seems to exist in a world of perpetual summertime... from another era entirely. 

Yes, she is so impossibly beautiful we really should hate her... if only she didn't write such beguiling songs.

6. The Who - Summertime Blues

As I already gave Eddie Cochran pride of place in my Top Ten Hot Summer Songs, here's a somewhat rowdier version from the other side of the pond: Live at Leeds, to be precise.

5. Emiliana Torrini - Unemployed In Summertime

Sadly, from personal experience I can tell you it's not as much fun as Emiliana would have you believe.
Sorry don't get mad at me
I just did the sex quiz
From your magazine
You're my best friend in the world
Just like me you don't do
Anything you're told
Very cute song though.

4. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime
If ain't broke then don't try to fix it
22 years old.

Just sayin'.

3. Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
Um-chi-chichi!
Man, that is some serious facial hair. Must get sweaty and itchy in the hot weather.

Famously used for a "Don't Drink & Drive" TV advert due to its lyrical suggestions...

2. The Sundays - Summertime

Harriet Wheeler. *Sigh.*
And it's you I need in the summertime
As I turn my white skin red
Two peas from the same pod, yes, we are
Or have I read too much fiction?
Is this how it happens?
1. Fun Boy Three - Summertime

According to Iffypedia, there are over 25,000 recorded versions of this song, originally written by Gershwin for the musical Porgy & Bess. I can't claim to have listened to them all, but I do own fine versions by Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Sam Cooke, Janis Joplin, Paul Robeson and Nick Drake (among others).
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high
Your daddy's rich
And your momma's good-looking...
Why choose this early 80s reggae-lite version from Terry Hall and chums out of all those? I think it was Terry's hairdo... and the hay bales, hammock and hi-jinks of the video.





Those were my favourite summertime songs. I know there is one glaring omission, but I'm saving it for another list. (And I'm waiting for the Sabrina fans to come out of the woodwork...)



4 comments:

  1. Had an odd dream last night...was at an airport chatting with Dave Grohl and 'the drummer from Foo Fighters' No idea where is came from, but it prompts me to suggest Summer's End from the Echos, Silence, Patience album...off to lie down now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... come back in a few weeks / days.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Harriet Wheeler. Big sigh. The Sundays were too fleeting, far too fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With you on Harriet Wheeler...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...