Tuesday 12 June 2018

Hot 100 Countdown #80





French indie dream-pop band Tahiti 80 give us our image this week... but which 80 song will be the winner?


Lots of you thought I might have to go down the 1980 or eighties route, but I managed to get away with avoiding the year (or the decade!) again this week. Still, good suggestions from...


Alyson: The Belle Stars - 80s Romance


Rigid Digit: Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Lies (Through The 80s) / Tori Amos - Glory Of The 80s


Jim Dubai: The Strokes - 80s Comedown Machine / Calvin Harris - Acceptable in the 80s (liked that more than I expected from a Calvin Harris track!) / The Vox - Bored Of The 80s (couldn't find that one, I'm afraid) / Milky Wimpshake - Blow out at 80 MPH (could only find a dodgy live version but how could you not like a band called Milky Wimpshake?)


The Swede: Dream Syndicate - 80 West (great guitar sound on that one) / Otway & Barrett - DK 50/80 (Mental! But I like mental.)


C: Killing Joke - Eighties (the first one so far this week that I actually own... hence a contender, if I'd been forced to use a year / decade song).


Lynchie: K.T. Oslin - 80s Ladies (always got time for a bit of country... I'm surprised nobody suggested George Strait - 80 Proof Bottle of Beer Stopper).


However, I'm going to ignore all of those, I'm afraid... because I have to go classic this week.


The song Around The World was written for the 1956 movie Around The World In 80 Days and recorded by lots of the usual suspects, including Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole. The track was also recorded by Diana Ross & The Supremes (under the film's full title of Around The World In 80 Days) in 1965 for an album that wasn't actually released until 2004.Anyway, here it is... I can't ever resist the Supremes...




So... 79 next week - what can you offer me?

11 comments:

  1. Can't believe I missed the chance to tout Christmas Was Better In The 80s by The Futureheads. Love that song.

    Anyway, 79.... for you, Rol, it has to be the fuzzy guitar of Spiderman 79 by Veruca Salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...

    Christmas Was Better In The 80s is a classic. Guess the only reason I didn't think of it was because I am forbidden to think about Christmas any day except December 25th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter of 79 by Tom Robinson Band

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979. I bought their "Melon Collie" album because it had a lovely colour...

    ReplyDelete
  5. D'oh - "cover" NOT colour and "Mellon" with two LL's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a year song, but Are You Ready For Love ('79 Version) by Elton John. Have never liked his voice but I didn't mind it on that one. Other than that just waiting for the trombone song now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humble Pie - '79th Street Blues', but I much prefer Charity Chic's suggestion to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lyrical (and year) 79:
    Saxon - Denim and Leather
    "Where were you in 79, when the dam began to burst"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some excellent suggestions... but nobody's got mine yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. REM - Ignoreland

    They hypnotized the summer, nineteen seventy nine

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...