Friday 2 November 2018

The United Kingdom of Song #9: Solsbury Hill



To Somerset this week, and the village of Batheaston, 2 miles east of Bath. No famous residents I can identify, but the hill that looks over the village was immortalised in song by Peter Gabriel in 1977 following a "spiritual experience" on top the hill which persuaded him to leave Genesis and go solo. (Some may interpret "spiritual experience" as "finally getting sick of Phil Collins"; I couldn't possibly comment.)

To keep in silence I resigned
My friends would think I was a nut
Turning water into wine
Open doors would soon be shut
So I went from day to day
Tho' my life was in a rut
Till I thought of what I'd say
Which connection I should cut
I was feeling part of the scenery
I walked right out of the machinery
My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" he said "Grab your things
I've come to take you home."



Next week, we head 200 miles east to a Suffolk town where we meet a lad from Sheffield. See you then.


2 comments:

  1. My first foray into Peter Gabriel's music was his 3rd solo album, although I did have "Solsbury Hill" on a sampler album, the name of which escapes me - and though never a prog rock fan, I had a mate who got me to listen to "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" which still makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting the place has such significance to Gabriel. Great song. I wonder how many fans actually went to the hill.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...