Monday 29 April 2019

2019 Contenders: The Railway Prince Hotel


I owe this one to Brian, who introduced me to the delights of Tullycraft a couple of months back. I've been listening to their latest album, The Railway Prince Hotel, ever since.

Here's 7 reasons you should also give it a go...


1. The opening line to the album (on the track Mini Midinette) goes like this...

In captivating dishabille

And who doesn't enjoy a little captivating dishabille every now and then? Nothing wrong with that.

Even better, they then go on to rhyme dishabille with glockenspiel, which is a definite winner in my book.

2. Tullycraft sound a bit like mid-period Belle & Sebastian to me. Some of these songs would fit well on Dear Catastrophe Waitress, my favourite B&S album.

3. Track 2 is called We Couldn't Dance To Billy Joel, yet it's not a trendy "isn't Billy Joel uncool?" song. It's quite respectful. Plus, the lyrics then reveal the band learned to dance and dress from listening to Pulp. So Billy and Jarvis in the same song. These guys might as well be raiding my record collection for reference points.

4. And as if that wasn't enough... track 3, Goldie & The Gingerbreads shamelessly steals the ending to the Meat Loaf classic Paradise By The Dashboard Light. Jim Steinman be praised!

5. It's Not Explained, It's Delaware

6. The chorus of Vacaville speaks for itself...

What’s your favorite band and who taught you to kiss that way?

7...





3 comments:

  1. So happy to read this today. Lyrically not a surprise it's up your alley. Probably still my favorite album of the year so far, but there have been a few others (including a couple more from Seattle) that have my ear right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian is dangerous for the bank balance. I've usually not heard of 75% of the stuff he posts and it's invariability brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the look out for a good Delaware song for a while to kick start my American Odyssey series - The song above is a definite contender.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...