Wednesday 17 April 2019

My Top Ten Submarine Songs


...but not that one, because I find it rather annoying.


10. The Supernaturals - Submarine Song

A Scottish submarine heads north...

9. Al Stewart - Life In Dark Water

The most literal submarine song on the list.

Oh come away from the day, here I stay
Living on the bottom of the sea
Down metal snake corridors steely grey
Engines hum for nobody but me
No sound comes from the sea above me
No messages crackles through the radio leads
They'll never know, never no never
How strange life in dark water can be

8. America - Submarine Ladies

On the other hand, I have no idea why this is called Submarine Ladies (I really don't think it's innuendo), but it's a cool song.

7. Black Grape - Submarine

No idea what this has got to do with submarines either, but Shaun Ryder is barking so that's all you need to know.

6. Ben Folds - Zak & Sara

Say what you like about Ben Folds, but dude can play the piano.

Zak called his dad about layaway plans
And Sara told the friendly salesman that:
"You'll all die in your cars,
And why's it gotta be dark?
And you're all working in a submarine."

5. Scott Walker - Plastic Palace People

Still missing him.

Over the rooftops burns Billy Balloon,
Sadly, the string descends
Searching its way down through blue submarine air
The polka dot underwear
To meet the trees, in morning square
Just hanging there, just hanging there

4. Hazel O'Connor - 8th Day

And on the 5th Day, God made the beasts and the submarines.

3. Fountains Of Ray - Sink To The Bottom

Doesn't actually mention a submarine, but does what submarines do.

2. The Lightning Seeds - Marvellous

Whereas this does exactly what it says on the tin. It's Marvellous!

You used to know but now you've forgotten
A submarine got stuck to the bottom
These are the days so wake up
Cause this is the time
And you know I'm right!

1. Billy Bragg - Sexuality

A nuclear submarine sinks off the coast of Sweden... but even if you're gay, Billy won't turn you away. Randy devil.


Those were my favourites, though I could have sunk another ten. Any submarines on your shelves?

6 comments:

  1. Dear Rol, I cannot believe you didn't include the Sex Pistols!
    Submission:

    "I'm on a submarine mission for you baby
    I feel the way you were going
    I pictured you up on my TV screen
    I feel your undercurrent flowing
    Submission going down down
    Dragging me down
    Submission, I can't tell ya what I've found"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helping you on your way to another 10:

    Captain Sensible - Glad It's All Over
    Submarines in the harbour incognito
    Submarines of your dreams not mine
    The red red sky must take the price
    For giving to the people who never never go to war
    We´re glad it´s all over

    Pink Floyd - Echoes
    In labyrinths of coral caves
    An echo of a distant time
    Comes willowing across the sand
    And everything is green and submarine

    Alice Cooper - Halo Of Flies
    I crossed the ocean
    Where no one could see
    And I put a time-bomb
    In your submarine

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many submarine songs - who knew? Well you did obviously but glad you didn't include the yellow submarine one as it is a bit annoying but quite like the Al Stewart one and nice to see Kirsty doing her thing with Billy - A great wee video and so sad she is no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really are quite a few submarine songs, and there are some great ones here and in the comments too. The first one not on your list to spring to mind is Midget Submarines by Swell Maps. I think I may prefer the cover by Jason Falkner though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas Dolby's "One of Our Submarines"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Under pressure

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...