Wednesday 8 May 2019

2019 Live: Sunday Afternoon In The Library With Robyn



On Sunday afternoon I ventured down to Huddersfield Library to see an artist I've never seen play live before: Robyn Hitchcock.

Sunday afternoon rock 'n' roll gigs in local libraries - this is clearly the future for the perpetually knackered and time-poor former gig junkie. A relaxed atmosphere (they brought out wheelie chairs from the computer room for those of us too lazy to stand up), excellent acoustics, and a crowd who were there purely for the music - not the beer and carousing. I reckon there were about 200 of us in total (including half the employees of Kirklees Libraries who'd obvious blagged freebies), so it was a pretty intimate gig, and slightly surreal too... but in that respect, Robyn Hitchcock was the ideal artist for the venue, with his weird, dream-logic lyrics and eccentric 'tween-song banter. I knew less than half the songs he performed, but I enjoyed every one... and could hear every word. Nobody pushing past me to get to the toilet, nobody shouting at their mates in competition with the band, not even that seven foot seven bloke who normally chooses to stand right in front of me at gigs. He must have had a better offer for Sunday afternoon.

Personally, I can't think of a better way to spend that particular day of the week, and I'll be keeping an eye out for more such gigs (apparently, Jack-In-Titanic-bothering-NY-indie-band Bodega will be playing the same venue soon, but I couldn't make it that day). If you want to check out upcoming library gigs in your area, click here.

And yes, I got home in time for tea!

Here's one of the tunes Robyn played...



3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way to get people back in libraries and a fantastic way to see a hero. Cheers. As someone who has followed him since I was a kid, I think he keeps getting better and better. Have enjoyed his work in this century immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly put on an excellent show for a Sunday afternoon in Huddersfield library!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...